SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skytidalwave

Opinions on Fencing Costs Pretty Please?

skytidalwave
18 years ago

I bought a 7.5 acre mini-farm that needs the fencing redone on the perimeter. The pasture is kind of horseshoe shaped with the middle being smaller - like a donut with a section out for the driveway and my house and yard in the middle where the hole in the donut is. The center part fenced might be about an acre. This has post/board fencing, but I need woven wire attached to it. My husband does not want electric fencing. The perimeter is in barbed wire and we want 4" square long-lasting woven wire fencing. We did not measure the feet and have not been given the exact feet of fencing we need yet from contractors.

The land is rolling, with about 1 acre wooded, 1 acre wet bottom land, a small section is steep, but mostly gentle slopes. The grass is overgrown 1 season. We heard we can't get it bush hogged because of irregularities and rocks.

I called well over a half dozen fencing contractors. Three came out to look at it. Two said they weren't interested in the job. One contractor quoted $13,000 for approximately 1,500 ft high tensile woven wire (some of the metal posts already there will be reused) with adding wood posts concreted in every somany feet, the rest will be woven wire tacked onto existing post/board (I guess about 500 ft?, plus an addition of about 100 ft more of post/board fencing added. They will be installing three drive-through gates and two walk-through gates.

I wish I could have gotten more estimates to compare. Does this sound reasonable? They said it should take about 2-weeks.

On the other hand I had another fence guy that is not available right now tell me that he charges $17/hr for three men, plus $1.25 per post. I'm not sure how to interperate that quote. I'm guessing that if this second fencing guy can do it in the same two weeks that it will be more affordable - but not sure - plus he seemed a little reluctant. Still, if I can save a few thousand dollars that is important.

Any toughts other than get electric fencing?

Comments (25)