SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Opinions needed--please help and advise! (pics)

joannemb
13 years ago

Ok, so I have decided that I would like to recreate a hedge like the one in the picture below---ES, T&SH, BB (repeat)

{{gwi:1011814}}

I originally decided to plant them along my patio (which faces west.) I knew it was a gamble, but I had had a sister theresa there and it did fine once it was established. I now have changed my mind.... I think it is just simply too much sun. They wilt and yes, they always bounce back, but quite honestly I don't want to look at wilted hydrangeas from 2-7 (which seems to be the reality of it.) Here is a picture of what I had planted. (You can see my make shift 'tents' reflected in the window-- that I had moved out of the way for the picture...helping to shade them from this 90 degree sun we're having this week!)

Also, note that in the border I planted I only used 3 Endless Summers and 2 Blushing Brides (alternating)---but if I do indeed change to plan B I will incorporate the Twist and Shout (Ostrich, I can't get your advice out of my head with the reminder to plant in 3's!) :)

{{gwi:40366}}

{{gwi:40367}}

Soooo, plan B is to wait until Spring, and make a larger hedge along my back fence (which faces East.) Only problem is that it is shaded by a large tree, and gets dappled morning sun. Here is a picture of what it looked like at 11:30 am this morning (and looked that way since about 8am) Is this enough sun for endless summers to bloom?

{{gwi:41283}}

Lastly, my neighbor reminded me that "we never plant in straight lines" and thinks if I plant along the fence I need to have curves. If I'm planting a hedge to hide the fence, can't I break this design rule? ;) Please? LOL Just would love some other thoughts/opinions!

Comments (10)