SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Wood Privacy Fencing

jane__ny
11 years ago

I don't think this is the right place to ask, but not sure how to find information.

My husband and I recently moved to Florida from NY. Houses are fairly close together and we would like to put up a wood fence. We are allowed to go up 6ft but are not allowed a stockade fence. The fence contractors have suggested 'shadowbox style' either vertical or horizontal (although they charge more for vertical).

We do not know anyone to ask for advice regarding fencing. We called every fence place listed in the yellow pages. We have been given so many different prices and styles. Most want to use pressure-treated. A few say cypress is better (more expensive). We were told 'shadowbox style' is good for privacy. We have been told we should not paint or stain the wood. We have been given different size posts and panels. Different size gates. One contractor said the fences last about 7 years, another said 15 yrs. I don't know what to believe.

Totally confused and afraid we might get ripped off. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for advice, but don't know where to get truthful information. If anyone can suggest another site or offer some information on these fences, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jane

Comments (2)