SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roodle_gw

Creepy Neighbor While We're Renovating

roodle
16 years ago

Hi all - I've recently divorced & moved to an urban neighorbood from a quiet suburb nearby [only 4 miles but what a difference in terms of quiet-attitude-socioeconomic]. Due to finances I had to pick somewhere "affordable" to buy, e.g. the City. I'm in a brick duplex with my one next door neighbor approx. 30 ft. away & slightly uphill. Same 100 yr old duplex [brick Victorian, wrap-around porch]. His porch side & mine are next to each other. I'm a middle aged woman, this guy is probably mid-30's & married to a very strange woman.

With the advent of spring, I've been outside a lot clearing, cleaning & removing & fixing/renovating with my help. I own 2 large dogs, both "friendly" but like ALL dogs, will bark at some strangers, mostly those who lurk, creep around or show up w/out warning. This young man is a lurking creeper. As soon as I'm outside w/my dogs, contained securely behind a temporary 4 ft. high fence situation [land must be cleared of debris & huge weeds/trees before I can install permanent fence], this creep comes out & starts lurking with a pretense of doing yard work. But he never does any. Mainly he lurks about & stands in his bushes looking at us. Last night he came out as soon as my ex-hubby left & our work was done for the day. It was dark out by then. I've installed floods w/motion detectors. I'm hoping the wooden fence sends him the message to mind his own beeswax.

I've already taken the time to cheerfully introduce him to my dogs, both over 100 lbs. My former neighbors liked them & were liked in return. They're not 'guard' dogs but they do 'watch' & alert bark [well, one will, the other [a Rottweiler, ironically] is a big sissy]]. He informed me that he was afraid of dogs but I explained their good natures etc. & he seemed satisfied. Now he's getting on their nerves & mine!

The Lurker has been acting very strangely; last night as I was grilling on my patio in my yard, he crept up into the common side yard, where the 4 ft. tall, strong "crowd control" temporary fence was put in yesterday, & stood there. Saying nothing but staring at the dogs. My one dog, the male, reacted by furiously barking back from the fence. Neither of my dogs would or could jump the 4 ft. fence [it's heavy gauge animal/crowd control]. My yard is inaccessible unless thru my house. So he can't get in & the dogs can't get out. We know they won't jump it even for squirrels. :-D

I will be putting in sturdy wooden privacy fence w/out any space between the pickets in about 4 -6 weeks as $ come in; I'd like to say something to the Lurker. My dogs are not vicious & have never bitten but do bark when people act strangely like this guy. They are NEVER in the yard alone, nor for extended periods. I'm always w/them outside or my adult son is out there w/them.

Plus frankly, he's creeping me out with the diligence of his sneaking, creeping & standing silently staring. He does seem crazy in a harmless but stalker way [I never trust these sorts]. I've realized I must cover every single of my large 72"H windows with privacy draperies or shades, which I've pretty much completed.

What sort of thing can I say to him to discourage this behavior, even after I get the wooden 6 ft. high fence in?

Comments (17)