SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
covella

Used container soil

covella
18 years ago

My first time on this forum, hoping to receive some good advice about re-using container soil. I had 20 large containers this year with dahlias on my deck. It was a pretty successful experiment and gave so much color when much of the rest of my garden was fading at the end of summer. I bought/made/ a lot of soil to fill all those containers and now wonder what I might do with it besides toss it in the compost pile. I plan to have the dahlias again next year - in our zone I have to take them up and store them for the winter. In past years with containerized annuals I've replaced the top 3-4" with new soil and fertilized and reused the container as is. With tubers though I worry about fungus or bacterial contamination. Plus I used Pro-mix for the bought portion and it has a high peat content, which rots and packs kind of. So do you think I could re-use this soil for dahlias?

My second question is about how to store it. I have some clean plastic trash cans with lids and was going to dump the soil in there for the winter. Then I can mix it with some new material in spring. Then I got to thinking that closing up soil in airtight conditions might not be best either. Though it was sterile in May, it sure isn't now.

I also thought going out into the woods and dumping it onto an old tarp and just having a pile ready to use. It would still be easy to clean up in the spring.

I was planning this year to clean and bleach all my containers and store them stacked.

Any comments would be great. Thanks!

Comments (18)