SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

The Naked Truth about soils...

jodik_gw
15 years ago

As many of you know, I've been researching and experimenting with the soils I use to plant my bulbs in. The conclusion I've come to is that a more porous, gritty medium, leaning toward the inorganic side, is much healthier for plants, and promotes much better root growth.

The proof is in the pictures! Observe these bulbs and their root systems... the bulb on the left was potted in Al's Mix, while the bulb on the right was potted in cocopeat.

{{gwi:18824}}

They both exhibit live roots, but notice the difference in root length and amount.

{{gwi:18825}}

Both bulbs are Hippeastrums. The bulb on the left is a Papilio. The bulb on the right is a Rapido. The tiny bulb with barely any roots is a Pamela, which had been originally potted in the cocopeat. It had badly rotted, and I had recently saved it. Rapido has been potted for longer than the Papilio, and both were in the same size clay pot.

{{gwi:18826}}

Perhaps now you can see why I constantly preach about aeration and how decomposed, silty soils can actually suffocate root systems. It really is worth a deeper look into container gardening and the benefits of a larger-particled, grittier, airier medium.

This is the second bulb I purchased as "Pink Garden Amaryllis"... it's obviously not pink, and this red leans toward orange... I suspect Red Lion, but it could also be another mutt. It's rather pretty.

{{gwi:18830}}

{{gwi:400808}}

{{gwi:400809}}

The beautiful colors of my newest Phal...

{{gwi:400810}}

{{gwi:400811}}

{{gwi:400812}}

Thanks for looking! I hope that exposing the roots of these bulbs will give you pause to think about what you're potting your bulbs in. For plants that spend their lives contained in pots, it's important to provide them with the type of medium that promotes healthy root systems... because healthy roots mean healthy plants.

In case anyone is interested in learning more about container soils, I've included a link to some very good information. Link below.

I also hope you enjoyed viewing what my jungle has to offer at the moment!

Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention VII

Comments (37)

Sponsored
More Discussions