SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daveh_sf

TDS and pH meters for soil?

daveh_sf
18 years ago

I'm looking for TDS and pH meters that can be used for container soil. I used to have a couple of cheap pH meters with two metal electrodes that you'd push into the soil, but they broke easily and only had dinky little scales that you could barely read. I've seen that Hanna, Truncheon, Oakton and others make nice digital meters, but it looks like the probes are intended for solutions only. So... Can you make a thin mud out of the container soil and measure it that way? It seems like that would work for pH, but wouldn't diluting the soil with water affect the TDS measurement? Or what about measuring the liquid runoff from the holes at the bottom of the pot - would that be accurate?

I'm mostly interested in measuring tomatoes in 20 gallon containers in my brand-new greenhouse. I'm discovering that growing them in containers is WAY different than growing them in the ground. The older leaves are getting blotchy yellow spots and a few of the ripening tomatoes have blossom end rot. From what I've read, the problem could be deficient N, excess N, deficient P, deficient K, deficient Ca, deficient Fe, pH, watering problems, or fungus.

Comments (6)