SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysen_gw

I need a 'hang out' area in the backyard. Please help!

kaysen
16 years ago

I just moved into a new house. It has a fenced backyard (all grass, approx. 1000 sq.ft.) and a screened patio. The grass itches my feet (I'm always in flip flops), so I would like to make an area where I could put a fire pit and some lounge chairs. I measured out the area I would like to work with and it's 14'x 24'. Initially, I wanted to put down pavers, but unless I can find them cheap, it would end up costing upwards of $700 (at $3.25 per paver & supplies). I think that it would be the perfect solution, but unfortunately, too costly. (I shopped around for cheaper pavers, but I may be looking in the wrong places since I haven't found any.) The thing is, I'm renting the place. I'm friends with the landlord and he is open to whatever improvements I want to make. He will pay for it, but it would have to be under $400. I have never done any landscaping projects, so I am pretty clueless. In my mind, I've come up with some solutions, but I don't know how practical they would be. First, I thought maybe I could just do the border with the 16"x16" pavers and fill the middle with mulch. Thinking about it further, that probably won't be a good idea: I have two dogs that run around back there and also, with all the rain we get, I may not get the desired effect. I'm also thinking that maybe I can fill in the middle with river rocks, lava rocks, or something like that. Please give me any suggestions you may have. The main purpose for this patio is for me to have an area to hang out, layout on a lounger, and just to lessen the monotony of the backyard. And of course, whatever I come up with, I have to keep it cheap. Thank you all in advance for your input!

Comments (8)