SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekinskofer

Disaster backyard. Need help please!

Dolph
7 years ago

Hi all,

We have a backyard that is in major need of overhaul. It's on a significant grade and north facing and as such doesn't receive a lot of sunlight. As such we have an overgrowth of moss and weeds on an annual basis. The concrete block patio that was installed by the builder is pretty useless and in my opinion dangerous.

We would like to level the backyard and patio stone the whole thing, however, I think that it's not likely possible and as the slope from the top corner to the bottom is probably 8-9 feet. I have also thought of perhaps building a deck over the existing concrete block patio with perhaps a lower level.

thanks!

aerial shot 1 of the backyard. Patio in the middle. entrance to the back yard on the far right, left of that is the staircase into the basement, left of that is a small strip of lawn to the right of the concrete patio.

Another aerial. You get the idea of how much shade this space gets.

Picture showing the grade of our backyard. Sandbox is sitting in that rougly 5 foot width strip of space beside the staircase going into our basement.

This area has quite a drop in grade. Storm drain on the bottom of the slope.

Here I'm standing on the storm drain and you can see why I say the concrete patio is dangerous. Roughly 3-4 feet of height and no railing. I don't think this is to code. My son says hi.

Another shot at a different angle.

Please let me know what your thoughts and feedback are on how to fix this space as we're stumped and need some form of an outside living space.

thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting