SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaleeisa

Update on Jaleeisa-Kathy

jaleeisa
14 years ago

Hello everyone. Not sure how many will remember me, it's been a little while since I've been very active here. Those who do know that in May I had a spinal fusion surgery. Three weeks after that, my hip fractured. After healing from that, it was determined that the screws and plates would have to be removed because they were abrading the large muscles on each side of my spine. This was done at the end of October.

Things should have improve since that time, but have not. I am still unable to bend and walk with a severe limp, often needing a cane. The muscles that were abraded, well, they removed some scar tissues from them when they removed the hardware, but something is still not right. All of the muscles from about the middle of my back going down over my glutes and into the backs of my thighs, and spreading outward from my spine to the sides to the sides of my hip bones are all still severely knotted. Movement, sitting, standing or even lying down for very long are still extremely uncomfortable.

My fusion was a success and filled in, strengthened and healed well, as did the incisions from both first and second surgeries. So everything should have been great.

As it stands, I began Physical Therapy for the second time yesterday. The muscles are so knotted and the tendons so taunt that they cannot even begin the massage therapy. It would cause too much pain.

I am having a dye contrast MRI this evening to look for further disk problems and to determine how much more scar tissue has built and if that is causing the issues.

I am waiting for the appointment to have an EMG done. This is a test to determine nerve damage. I'm dreading it.. it's VERY uncomfortable.

I have started having a lot of trouble with my hands- losing sensation, at times losing control and dropping things. They are working on figuring out what is causing this.

My last appointment with my surgeon was a week ago yesterday. He told me then that surgically, there is nothing else to be done for me. He also told us that what ever increased mobility I gain from the physical therapy....well... that's pretty much going to be it. I still have a lot of pain in my legs, and at this point they feel the nerve damage in my legs is permanent. The physical therapist said yesterday that they are going to work with me to try to regain some mobility... but given how severe it is, that is going to take a lot of time, perhaps years before I'm able to bend or anything like that to any real degree. Because it's not only loosening the muscles, but allowing the tendons to heal, then rebuilding strength in them.

I want to thank Linda, Melissa and Dan for the cards. They have been such a bright spot through all of this. I'm slowly getting Christmas cards filled out and in the mail. So several should be receiving those in the next few weeks. I just wanted everyone to know why I've not been around. I can't sit to do anything for long, so it's taken me most of the day to write this using word.

Love and miss everyone and hope you will keep me in your prayers.

Kathy

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living