SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy547

update: kathy547's secret pal swap......july check-in

Kathy Johnson
18 years ago

Sorry, I am just now getting to post. I am still having to rearrange my life, schedule, house, etc. to make room for my sister & her kids. I decided to tell her I couldn't take her back & forth to work because it was just too hard on me, so now she's getting off her tail & trying to find a car & not wait for one to fall in her lap.

I keep saying this I know, but I will get to my email soon, promise!

I hope everyone is having a great summer!

Comments (45)

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm glad you got the thread started, Kathy. I wanted to post this weekend, but there was no thread to post to.

Oh! I think I had the FIRST package to arrive in July. This big fat envelope arrived on Fri or Sat. When I opened it, I didn't just smile, I cracked up laughing. My pal made my day with her creativity. Loved it! Thanks, pal!

• Lynn
    18 years ago

Oh come on! Tell us what was in the envelope!

WindsurfGirl

• Related Discussions

Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...January check in

Q

Comments (77)
    Still haven't checked my email but will be checking in the next day or so. I'll reply to all emails then but since I will probably have hundreds (lol!) it may take some time to get through them all. Please be patient with me just alittle longer. I'll be sending emails to the Secret Pals who haven't sent anything. If anyone wants to sign up as a second SP (& you haven't already sent me an email) let me know. I may start a new thread with this same information but as of January 31st, here's my list of not received/received: Not Received for January 2005: Judgemarykali Kathy547 Suzydaze (didn't post rec'd/Dec) Diene (second month/nothing) Eliz33 Norma_az (didn't post rec'd/Dec) lbmoore SandysGardens CompostChick Abitodd (second month/nothing) WindsurfGirl(2nd month/nothing) KnoxvilleGirl(2nd month/nothing) Tropicalfreak Cassiet (2nd month/nothing/SP says sent, maybe wrong address?) Received for January 2005: Soaprah Ggwrn Theresan Kimskreations Everafter Sunshine123 BecksterCA Nitenut Gulliblevolunter Veeja11 Booster1 Darlene 87 GardenHits DaWiff PlantladyJan Gardnwatch Rudybacon MudPlayingFamilysMom Leann2800 If I have missed someone, or gotten you in the wrong list, please let me know!
    ...See More

Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...March check in

Q

Comments (75)
    Hello All! I just wanted to post a thank you to my Secret Pal! My March package came today and I was thrilled to see it! It was just chock full of wonderful stuff! A big package of scrapbooking stuff, a birdie windchime that I just love, some plant labels that will come in VERY handy, also a cute little bunny statue and a bunny trinket box (both for Easter, but I can still use them out in the garden later). And a nice card! I also want to let my Secret Pal know that I have been sticking very conscientiously to my diet, and have actually lost some weight, so I want to say a BIG thank you for NOT sending Easter candy! LOL I would not have been able to resist! I was really glad to hear that you do winter sowing! I do too! I have loads of containers out there, but the weather this week has been above freezing for the first time in months, so I do not have any sprouts yet :( I'm glad to hear that you have been busy planting your hunks of seedlings. Hope they do well for you. The snow is finally melting off my garden beds, and I have crocuses blooming! Also, lots of little green shoots coming up. It's so wonderful to see the garden waking up again after its long sleep. We might get more snow tonight, but at this point it probably won't last long! I sure hope so anyway. Thanks so much Secret Pal, you are the best! Alison
    ...See More

UPDATE: Cassie's March Check In for 2005 Secret Pal

Q

Comments (46)
    Hi, y'all-- Received a package from my Secret Pal!!! I have the best pal EVER!! In the box were: A cute little yellow and pink hand-painted planter bucket...the colors perfectly compliment the purple shamrock I put in it. A bag of easter colored Hershey's miniatures (I should REALLY seek help for my chocolate addiction!!!). A card of Easter stickers (which my 8 year-old DGD promptly made off with!--oh, well *grin*). A package of white plastic plant markers (SO much better than the popsicle sticks I usually use). A packet of dark lavender Dianthus seeds (going in dirt this afternoon, tee-hee). A tin of Nivea hand cream (which will TOTALLY get used up...in addition to constantly digging in the dirt *g*, I also raise poultry, which means I wash my hands A LOT and all that washing often leaves my hands so dry that they crack...thanks for the relief, dear pal). Some decorative seed packets and home-canning jar labels (so pretty I hate to use them!). I'm not sure what the next item is, but it looks like a decorative Mason jar ring. It has a foam pad that goes underneath the ring. One side of the pad is adhesive, so I suppose you would stick a pretty picture to the pad and then use the whole assembly to store dry goods? If I'm right, I've never seen one before and it's really cool. Finally, my pal included a personalized Easter card. I also received a personalized St. Patrick's Day card with the prettiest decorative cut-out edging on the inside. I really wish I knew how to do that (hint-hint). SP, your parcels are always filled with very thoughtful things. You're the greatest! Thanks again! Best to all, Cheryl
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap.....September Check-In

Q

Comments (39)
    I received a wonderful birthday box from my secret pal! I love it! I've tried to send a picture but it's not working for me. So, here's a link: http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/everafter/Secret+Pal+Birthday+Box.JPG.html I absolutely love cookbooks, bulbs (tulips are my favorites) along with the bulb planter and gloves, the lavender pot with seeds is so perfect for me, citrinella candles are great for our area!, butterfly picture and frame is too cute and the glass rose is already on a shelf! Everything is wonderful and I'm sure I left something out as there was sooooo much! Thank you very much! Susan
    ...See More
  • kimskreations
    18 years ago

Yeah Dianna, I was thinking the same thing you silly goose *lol*

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

What was inside was........the first memento from a pal to get to anyone in this group this month. That's what! LOL!! Y'all know I don't tell eeeeeverything. It was something very thoughtful and very practical for any normal gardener. Something I really, really needed. But it was also something that is so popular w/the kids that if they find it I won't have a chance to use for myself. Best of all, it was a reminder that someone was thinking of me. Next best of all was that it gave me a chance to (lovingly) tease y'all. It wasn't rain, and it wasn't a cooling breeze. Those would have have been nice, too, but not enough of either could fit in the package to do any good. Come to think of it, I could also use that big envelope to make a big, cooling fan.

I'll tell ya, but you might not understand how cool the gift really was, how much I really wanted it, and how happy it made my day. It was a great big envelope packed full of tongue depressors! It was a perfect gift, and I truly love it. My pal is so totally, awesomely, cool, creative, and thoughtful. She's the greatest.

Keep posting. It gives the thread a nice BUMP toward the top.

Honk! Honk! (giggle, giggle) Honk! Honk! (That's my silly goose impression.) :-)

• kimskreations
    18 years ago

You must use tongue depressors to mark your plants huh Dianna? If so, that is SO funny because I just bought 2 huge packages of those for my daylilies *lol*.

Kim

• cassiet
    18 years ago

My package is off to my not so secret pal.... Hope they enjoy their little box...

By the way Muddy Mom and Kim ... a big box of craft sticks the size of tongue depressors are 2.00 at WalMart and 2.99 at Michaels.... 300 per box and yes they make wonderful plant markers. I break mine in half to make 2 markers out of one stick!!!! Dianna is your chocolate cosmos blooming yet? I looked out today and viola a nice chocolate brown bloom... kinda small but a flower nevertheless.

PS Does anyone know if flower sunflowers make seeds in the head like regular sunflowers or where do you collect the seeds from? I think I just ask a stupid question but oh well. I have some blooming.. they are soooooo beautiful and are a deep maroon reddish black and some have yellow/maroon... they are called summer something.... LOVELY

Cassie

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Cassie, sunflowers make seeds. They form in middle as the flower dies. Then you hang them upside down to finish drying. Can put a bag over the head so they can drop into there. The big, fat, edible, striped seeds come from some kinds of them. Not all types of them form seeds big enough for you to eat, though; but I think birds still enjoy them.

Chocolate cosmos is blooming in my dreams only. Within minutes of its arrival I called Park's to tell them it appeared that they mailed me a pot of dirt. Was assured that it was something that was shipped dormant at that time of year, that sunshine and water would bring it to life. I took tender loving care of pot and vigilantly watched for the first little sprout. A few weeks ago I called them back to tell them that my dirt was still dirt and offer to return it to them for replacement. They were sold out for the year. I'm supposed to call back in December to reorder for spring. Sigh. I always say that anticipation is half the fun. Since I'll get extra anticipation from this, I'm going to be SO MUCH MORE excited when I see the first bloom. It's going to be extra, extra special. Wanna hear something funny? I still keep that pot of dirt watered and cared for and I enjoy the thought everytime I see it. It really is blooming in my mind, and despite the fact that it isn't blooming in reality, that gift from my pal is still one of the best all time gifts I've ever gotten. LOL That's one reason my actual gardens will never be gorgeous to others. I see things as they can be instead of fretting over the way they actually are.

BTW, my box to my pal is all but mailed. I packed it up and labeled it this evening. Must go out tomorrow because it's perishable.

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Dianna,
    When you get items like that from Park just pop them in the ground and water there.... they will root and take off... usually die if left in the pot they come in. I usually have wonderful luck with Park and buy from them all the time however this past year... I have lost 3 Irises and 2 different sets of Tropical Sunrise cannas and both were replacements to the original. Don't know what the deal is with their stuff this year. Have NEVER had this happen before

Thanks for the information on the sunflowers. I knew the edible ones make seedhead but was not sure about the regular flowering ones because I have never grown these. I am excited cause they are soooooooooo pretty

Cassie

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

My package to my pal was mailed today. It cannot be broken in the mail. :-)

Cassie, I didn't find anything in there to plant. I think they made a booboo and forgot to put a plant in the dirt. Most of the stuff I've gotten from them grows fine. The only things we've had them ship, though, have been irises. Other times I've had them call me when the items arrived from their suppliers and convinced them to hold them for me & I drove over to pick them up. It's a good excuse to visit the gardens. Anyway, I know things like that happen during shipping rushes, especially for high demand items. It bothered me more because it was a gift & I didn't want to say anything. If I'd bought it for myself, I probably wouldn't even have tried to get it replaced. I actually made out better because, after sitting on hold for awhile, I decided that I should let them know about a few other things I'd gotten that didn't make it over winter. Am supposed to have a credit being sent for those. Credit doesn't cover the orginal purchase price, though, and it hasn't arrived, yet. That credit is good because I've already replaced the items with bigger, well established plants. Now I can use it to take a chance or two on some desires that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. In the end, this is all working out for the best because I have even more to look forward to. Oh, several things I got from them last fall did much better than expected - hellebores, peonies, and hydrangea. The first two can be difficult to get through the summer here, but they are doing great. Hellebores even bloomed the first winter.

• kimskreations
    18 years ago

ooooo oooooo oooooo I LOVE PERISHABLE Packages! *lol* (sitting on pins and needles now......ouch.....hurry up mail lady!). Jessie will want to open the box the moment it arrives! She had her haircut like a boy! She is such a tomboy....all dresses.....to Salvation Army :(

You want to hear something too funny? I live in Maine and we are far behind when it comes to blooming times etc. on most plants. This morning as I was out doing my daily "slug stomp" I saw something strange on my lupine. The darn thing is going to bloom AGAIN. These went by weeks ago and yet foolish mine thinks it's time to bloom again. Then out on my island bed I noticed that the corydalis had some little balloons forming AGAIN. Both of these plants are spring plants and have bloomed already and now decided maybe they should bloom again. I have the most unpredictable plants that exist *lol*. I have been having alot of fun taking pictures of all the blooms in my garden this year. I plan to put together a photo album this winter (trying to plan ahead for my winter depression) and will share it with you all when it is done.

I will be mailing my Secret Pal her package at the end of the week. I'm sorry Pal, it's not that much this month but I think it's something you will enjoy.

I have been organizing alot of fall trades and have dug a new Iris bed this summer. I hope everyone is having a great summer and enjoying their gardens!
    Kim

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

I received a pckage from my Secret Pal today. I opened the card forst to find out she was leaving the swap. I almost cried. I always looked forward to packages from her, as she always selected the nicest things with me and my likes always in mind. I will miss you Secret Pal, since you will no longer be a secret pal in this group (I would like to know who you are) . I hope the reason you are leaving the swap is because you have just too much gardening to do... instead of something dreadful such as illness, death in family or divorce. Either way I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

I loved the little metal doxie.
    I have been debating over where to put him. I would like to display him on my front door, but fear of him wandering off. Of all the things I have received from you in the past, the doxie items are most prized. And you almost always had something doxie related in each package, I just do not know how you do it! And of course buddy loves the dog toys!

I also look forward to using the pot feet, you must have read my mind, as I needed to go out and get some, but they are hard to find here.
    I will wait till winter to start the seeds, as winter here is like spring everywhere else in the world.

I wish you a long life and lots of joy.

Vicki

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I've mailed my secret pal her package this afternoon.
    Hope you all are enjoying your summer.
    The Japanese beetles are eating everything this year.
    I had to go out and rescue my raspberries..for fear the beetles would not only eat the folliage but the berries too.
    The stores here finally got liquid pectin on their shelves.....so this weekend will be jam making time.
    Anybody else do canning and jam/pickle making?
    I love going out and finding recipe books to buy.
    Churches seem to make the best books. The women are all wonderful cooks.
    Till next month..... take care and keep cool.
    Bonnie

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Kim, my 16yo son got his hair cut like a boy, too. LOL He had wonderfully full, curly hair and finally decided that even though he looked cool, getting a job is easier if a guy looks like a prep. He went into the shop and just told them, "Make me look like a conservative." LOL He starts working tomorrow. Waiter in a Thai restaurant. Twelve to thirteen hour days/three days/week.

The blooming/fruiting schedules are all off for this area, too. My huge plum harvest finished last month. "Fall" raspberries are done, too. There is only one blueberry bush left to finish producing. The others started in May. Was very surprised to find a pear ripening on the little tree just planted last year. We have a large tree and got the new one to help pollinate it. There were several weeks between when they bloomed, though. So, no pears again on the one that is READY. Don't know how that one got pollinated on the little tree.

The blue balloon flowers here did one big flush of blooms and are resting now. The tall pink ones started afterwards and are still going. Same for the double blues that I found and bought. I've had the regular blues for 5 or 6 years. Other years before this they just bloomed lightly throughout the summer. This year they seemed to push them all out at once. Daylilies are about done and glads are just starting. Favorite daylilies I have are some short ones that I must have already had because they have no name tag. Color is very pretty, like a bright Stello d'Oro, and they bloom heavily like those, but they are short, and have between 15 and 18 petals each. Not all have stamen. More like triple to triple and a half blooms. VERY full looking. I think my favorite flowers of this year may be the cannas that I wintersowed from seeds I had collected. Two have opened. One is a beautiful salmon pink w/a fine yellow, slightly ruffled edging and a yellow throat w/specks of salmon. The other is shorter, about knee high, and almost the exact opposite coloring - bright yellow w/specks and streaks of salmon running through the petals and throats. They look pure bright yellow until you get close and can see the markings. Those two are my first from seed to bloom They are next to each other and go together so well. Both are also sending up new stalks beside the original.

Gardnwatch, the "Harvest" forum here is often a good place to get recipes and tips. I used to do a LOT of canning and pickling. Now, if I'm going to make jam, I tend to freeze the fruit and then do the cooking later in the year when it is not so unbearably hot.

GardenHits, that is so sad! I enjoy both my pals so much that I would be very sad if either felt the need to leave. Best thing isn't the gifts, it's the relationship that builds! I hope you and your pal are able to stay in touch even though she found it necessary to leave. At least then you will be able to keep the best part of the swap - the friendship.

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GardenHits, your pal decided to quit the swap because her pal she said her pal hadn't sent anything for a month, sent the 2nd month, nothing the third, & this was the fourth. Also, she was unable to post on GW due to comments she'd made. All in all, this turned out to be "a not so fun swap" for her. As I could, I have emailed her pal to find out what's going on & still haven't heard anything from her. So, my last email to the pal let her out of the swap. The only reason I'm telling everyone is so you all know to please answer my emails if you've been late or skipped a month. I usually ask if there's a problem & do try to work with you. As you all probably know by now, I can not get to a computer everyday so the day(s) that I can, I do my GW stuff & emails all the same time. I will be sending your pal one of my "make up" boxes. You do have a new pal already assigned to you.

I received from my pal a card with a note, 'Tropicana' canna & Easter egg gourd seeds,& an old book on mushrooms for my husband (who says thank you). He collects all kinds of old stuff - papers, books, tools, arrowheads, etc. - so he got a kick out of the book. My pal also sent two refrigerator magnets, one with a Minuteman state magnet & one with James Dean (what a cutie!). I am so thankful to my pal for brightening my day!

• kimskreations
    18 years ago

Wow, I have SO MUCH to say....so get your coffee, light your cigarettes (if you smoke), grab your soda or other beverage of choice *lol*.

First, let me say that I mailed my Secret Pal's box today. Hopefully I get around to sitting and writing sometime soon pal. I'm much better at that during the fall when I'm not in the garden so please forgive me.

Second, I received THE Most Wonderful box from a Most Thoughtful Secret Pal today! So much of this box touched me in so many different ways. Jessie was jumping up and down when she saw "Secret Pal".....She's like "YEAH, this isn't just plants for you mommmy *lol*". It was all she could do when I said "Wait, Jessie, we have to read the card first" (kids hate to wait to read the cards but I want her to see the importance of what cards say). I read it out loud to both of the kids and they enjoyed it (not as much as I did). My Secret Pal always sneaks in a little something for Jessie which just touches me (and her) so deeply. She's sitting on the floor right now putting together her "kids" windchime (such a cute craft idea). She just asked Josh (16) if he wanted to play the 4 in a row game with her.....of course he said no (he's 16/she's 11 but a very young 11) so mom will end up playing with her shortly I'm sure.

BUT, for mom there was the cutest outside planter with grapes and 3 begonias to put in it and enjoy while I'm outside. I have never had a planter for outside and my mind went on a tangent about all the different things I could put in it!

My Secret Pal had some luscious blueberries this year and was afraid mailing them would wilt them. Don't feel bad Secret Pal because I have 3 acres of blueberries that I am too lazy to pick (takes away from time admiring my blooms). BUT she did send some Blueberry Pancake Syrup. Now, this is just too funny Secret Pal because last night I made big breakfast for supper (my kids love it) not realizing that we didn't have enough syrup for the crepes. We used what little we had and Josh said "mom, I'm not finishing these crepes with no syrup" and I said "well, it's one of those things that I don't think of when I'm at the grocery store. I didn't even need to go to the grocery store, my Secret Pal did my shopping for me! (thank you so much my friend).

Also tucked inside was a sentimental beaded placque which is just so me. I plan to hang it in my garden as this is where I go to meditate every morning.

Of all the things in my box, I LOVED the fact that my secret pal sat and wrote a lengthy note to me personally. That always touches me. Funny how just a few minutes of someone's time can mean so very much.

Secret Pal, I sincerely thank you with all my heart and NEVER want this Swap to end. But, when it does, know that you will forever be very special to me and in my thoughts always!

I'm especially sorry for those that have experienced hard times during this swap. Please know that it bums me out when I hear a fellow gardener not treating others the way they'd like to be treated. I'm sure sometimes this is not intentional and other times there are weeds in our gardens. Please don't let it get you down as the flowers certainly outweigh the weeds here. If there is anything I can do Kathy, please let me know OK?

Now, to brighten things up a little.....Here are a few pictures of the smiling faces that have awaited me this past season so far:

{{gwi:1288787}}
    {{gwi:1288789}}
    {{gwi:1288790}}
    {{gwi:1288792}}
    {{gwi:1288794}}
    {{gwi:926238}}

Hope you enjoyed. I'm putting together pictures to make a photo album this winter so that my Winter Depression doesn't sneak in.

Happy Gardening and Thank You My Secret Pal, My Friend!
    Kim

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Wow! Those are some gorgeous daylilies! I especially love ruffly edges. Except for my little triple decker beauty, mine seem so run of the mill compared to those. What is that unlabeled flower in the bottom pic? You seem to have something else that I don't - garden soil. You would not believe how hard we have to work trying to turn clay into something where anything besides crab grass and dandelions will grow.

I'm going "Tut tut tut" because I can't imagine anyone not picking blueberries. LOL I get so skinny in the summer because I hardly eat a meal when it gets too hot. While I'm gathering or working outside, I keep tossing handfuls of berries or cherry tomatoes into my mouth, or a plum, peach, whatever. Nothing else seems to taste so good.

• kimskreations
    18 years ago

Hello Dianna,

If you are referring to the red/white picture, it's called a Parrot Tulip.
    I too have terrible soild (very acidic, thus the 3 acres of blueberries). But after much trial and error I have learned that I need to add lime in the spring which is $1.97 for a huge bag at Wal-Mart. I also truck my wheelbarrel next door and shovel horse manure all summer long. She said I can have all I want so I go all the time and bring it in. She uses that real fine sawdust in her stalls and that is one of the best mulches which composts nicely. This is the first year that my flowers actually look like a flower bed. I have been working at it and failing year after year so I'm like a kid in the candy store this year *lol* but I have had to work very hard to achieve it. Alot of research to combat mother nature. I now use all my pine needles (slugs hate them) to mulch my shade garden with. I crush all my eggshells and throw them everywhere (again, slugs hate them as they cut them....so....needless to say, we eat alot of eggs *lol*).
    I thank you for your compliments on my daylilies. At the end of this fall I will be the proud owner of 110 different named varieties and I simply love them all. My new adiction (just dug ANOTHER bed) is Iris. I'm not as particular on their names as it's hard enough to try to keep up with the Daylilies as it is.

Here is a new addition to the garden which I fell in love with:

{{gwi:1288796}}

And this bloomed for the first time this year:
    {{gwi:1288798}}

Sincerely,
    Kim

Thank you again,
    Kim

• diene
    18 years ago

Hello All;
    I have sent my package to my pal. I am so proud of myself because the last two have been sent so that they probably did not make it for the end of the month so to get a box out before mid month is an accomplishment. Hope everyone is well. Have a wonderful July.

• nitenut
    18 years ago

Thanks to my secret pal. I just got my box in the mail. What a great card. I had a friend with me when I picked it up and she gave up on it. It's one of those 3-d type cards that is egg shaped but opens to a wonderful flower seen inside and out. I also got some very nice smelling lotion, love violets and an origami kit. Now this will be both fun and interesting to see what I actually create :) Thanks again friend and have a great July!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I received a wonderfull b day pkg from my pal, musical card, gloves, dahlia, lollipop lilly bulbs, pink calla seeds. a hosta and a clematis. I love it all I have the bestest pal ever. how did you know I was 29 today?no pups yet, funny story pal maybe I should keep it a secret but it is funny, the calla lilly seeds are from my plant, I recognize the label. which is wonderfull I gave all of mine away and it isn't going to flower this year. thankyou pal. I love you

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Carol! You are the same age as I am! Isn't it great to be 29? I have a rotten kid sitting next to me who laughed when she saw me type that and said, "You mean 129th birthday, don't you Mom?" I think she just earned a liver and spinach dinner.

Oh, boy! A wonderful package came from my pal today. There were 4 packs of seeds, a book that is just right for me - "Chocolate for the Woman's Soul II" I really enjoy having light, uplifting fare to read as I wind down before sleeping. It is soooo much better than novels because I have a tendency to want to finish an entire story in one sitting. Not very restful when I'm still finishing up a book after the sun has risen. Magazines, short stories, and collections are perfect. Okay, confession time. You would not believe the types of things I choose for myself to read. Mags I subscribe to are Scientific American and Natural History. Am currently reading microEconomics. The books immediately before that were, "You are a Mathematician", "The Magic of Mathematics", and "The Relativity of Wrong" (a series of scientific articles by Asimov). My recreational reading choices are not normal. I also read biographies and autobiographies and straight history. Just because my choices sound all uppity and intellectual doesn't mean I remember much of anything from them. LOL After all, these are just to help me wind down and be ready to sleep. I really, really like the type of book you sent. I will have to keep it hidden until I finish it, though, because my 15yo devours anything like "Chicken Soup" that she sees.

My very favorite surprise is something which I will treasure and cherish forever. It is a BEAUTIFUL handmade "rag" wreath in the most cheerful combination of colors. I don't know if you realize how highly I appreciate handmade items. I LOVE getting them. I used to do many crafts, but no longer have time. I know the time that goes into them. Even more, I know how, whenever I made things for people, I would be thinking of them so much while working on the project. I just, well, feel so THOUGHT OF, right now. Thanks. It's a wonderful feeling.

(pssst...)
    I have the bestest pal ever. But since Carol wrote that on her b'day, we'll keep it a secret and let her think that she does.

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Carol... didn't know it was your birthday!!! I turned 29 on Thursday the 14th. Evil grin. Ohhh I wish. Boy Dianna... I have read that Microeconomics but not because I wanted to... Laughing. My daughter loves to read really intellectual things also just cause she likes to be knowledgeable. I think it's GREAT!!!! What a good example to set for your children.

Any puppies yet Carol? Beautiful pictures Kim!!! Wish my flower beds were so clean.

• becksterca
    18 years ago

I received a really neat African Violet in a special pot.is it one of those African Violet Pots???
    It is Lavender with little frogs climbing all over it.

The AV arrived in good shape. A few of the leaves had been crushed, but that's to be expected! I gave it some TLC and a long drink and now it's looking good.

Thank you so much! I love African VioletsÂdid I mention that somewhere?

Your Pal

Becky

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Double Happy Birthdays to you ladies!

Becky, maybe you can use those leaves to create some baby AV's.

I have a message from Abitodd. She has been unable to sign in here for quite some time. It's driving her a little crazy that she can't login to thank her pal personally, but she does want you to know that she has received her gift and loves it.

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Thank you Dianna,

I had a wonderful birthday... I supervise 9 very crazy people and they gave me a silly card and dedicated a "shanking" to one of my workers who said I had to be older than 42 "cause I was so wise and had gray hairs and all" Laughing. That made the WHOLE day really funny cause every hour there was something else on the bulletin board in my unit about him with the day ending in a party with little cardboard cutouts of us surrounding him and a paper shank in his back. They put a big sign over it that said Happy Birthday Cassandra. It was hilarious and all in the spirit of fun... he promised not to ever say a woman was old again and then he ask one of his coworkers why she thought she would bleed to death in 1 min when it took a HUMONGOUS deer weighing 200 lbs longer. Of course we women groaned and she was a LITTLE upset because she weighs MORE THAN 200 and then he said "What do you weigh THAT MUCH. Still shaking my head and laughing. He has a really bad habit of saying the wrong thing all the time. Today they gave me a not so surprise birthday party since I found out about it... and two of my employees also... so we had a combined party which was great.
    My daughter and I went out to eat this past Saturday and then she got me the new Kathy Reichs book Crossbones and some purple pens. It has been wonderful!!!

Everyone in our complex woke up Monday morning to slashed tires so that was a joy... but I am happy. We are alive and healthy and I can smile and laugh. I am blessed.
    One of my CANNA's that I have been growing from seed is starting to bud!!!! I am so excited I can't stand it.

Cassie

• darlene87
    18 years ago

I received a lovely box from my s.p. today. Lifted my spirits a whole lot. I think my s.p. is the queen of tissue paper! All items were put in a lovely exquisite box that has a garden theme on it, to be used to store special items. I will use it in my pc room, which has a garden theme. There was a huge tin of tea, which will come in handy. I make iced tea daily in summer, hot tea in winter. I love it! There was a lovely china cup for the tea, with roses on it. Something I would have admired for a long time, and wanted it, but as a lot of us, I never indulge for myself. Included was a lovely card with a special note, which I save. In winter, I shall complile the cards in a book. Three cat stories, which will keep me busy reading in my spare time. Does anyone have spare time in summer? Two special soaps, which I love, since I am into all natural products, because of so many allergies. A pkg. of candles with a pewter butterfly candle holder. A sweet brass butterfly bookmarker, which I love, I am always needing markers. I usually have 4 or 5 books going, one in each room. There was a cute little figurine of a cat, homemade I am sure. He will go on the shelf with the other cat figures. There is a glass bobble with the words, "health" on it. That I need a lot, juggling 8 chronic ills. I will rub it a lot, till the words health are rubbed off most likely! Last....a huge lovely coleus! It is big, I never seen one that big, and not limp at all, she did a terrific job of wrapping it. I only have one other coleus, and it gets saved in the house during winter. Secret Pal, I thank you so much. I think that you out do yourself every month. There are times I get to feeling low, and then use something you have sent, and pretty soon I am thinking how sweet it is to have others care, when they have never met you. I will keep you in my prayers for a great summer, and may you enjoy good health! Thank you so very much.
    Darlene

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Oh, Darlene, that sounded like an extra precious box! It is wonderfully warming just to know someone special is thinking of us, isn't it? What color is your new coleus?

• darlene87
    18 years ago

Well, I had to shower, so let's start using the soap. Then later, I needed my tea fix, so used the tea, and the lovely cup. Makes me feel special. Can't have candy, so induldge in tea. Planted the coleus in a special pot also. It is Kong Coleus, with white, green and red on the leaves, which are the size of my hand. Here is a link if you want to look at, I think it is Kong Mosiac. www.territorial-seed.com/stores/ 1/Coleus-Kong_Mosaic_P124090C424.cfm I enjoy and use the items she sends, and always remember how special of a lady she is. Can't wait to find out who she is though!
    Darlene

• leann2800
    18 years ago

Secret Pal, You out did yourself! Wow! What a package!
    Please excuse me for not posting earlier. My husband decided to take me and the family out of town to the beach for a surprise. It was such a surprise. I did not even pack. We just went and then he decided to stay.
    Then, I went out of town for a work conference.
    I am about to go out of town tomorrow to get the new kids stuff rom their foster homes. I've been on the road all summer it seems. That coffee you sent will come in handy. All this travel is exhausting me.
    I can't believe you took in kids besides your own too. Its a small world. We do seem to have a lot in common. First gardening and now this...
    I hope I can convince one of the kids to join me gardening with the little kid gardening kit you sent. That is so sweet of you. I'll definately need a helping hand. With more kids, I'll have less time to plant all those seeds you sent me but if I talk one of them into helping me....I'll make a new gardening friend and keep my garden flourishing.
    My son loved the watch. He says thank you and he aske dme if I had told you tootsie rolls were his favorite? I don't think I did though. You nailed it all by yourself. He ate tha candy paper in front of his cousins just to gross them out. lol The other two kids are still out of town until tomorrow but then they'll be living with us and they can try out the candy too.
    My significant other thanks you for the cookbook. I love to cook and he loves to eat it.
    My old thermometer broke during last years hurricane. I definately needed the one you sent. I don't look much at the thermometer during the hot season but I'll stare at it daily when the winter comes.
    Those candy soaps are darling. They go well with the bathroom. My bathroom is pink but it has accents of purple and pink. All the accents are kind of playful because boys and girls use it. So, candy works good.
    Tonight is my last night with just one kid. So, I'll be enjoying the peace reading Birds and Blooms and the stickers. I love the quotes on the stickers.
    Hope your summer is going good and you are doing well.
    Thanks so much for thinking of me and my family. It is nice sharing this momentous occasion with someone whose been there and knows what it is like.

Leann

• diene
    18 years ago

Hello All;
    I received a wonderful package from my secret pal. She sends wonderful notes as well as great treasures. She sent a wonderful gardening bag that can be reused. It is something I did not even know existed but cannot imagine why I did not. She also sent a beatiful flag which I will hang as soon as I finish siding my garage. I hope to have that done before the end of the month but who knows. Hope everyone else is enjoying this as much as I. Thanks secret pal and thanks Kathy. diene

• leann2800
    18 years ago

gardening bag that can be used? What do you mean? doesn't like something I have seen before either.

Leann

• diene
    18 years ago

Hello Leann;
    Gardening bag that can be reused. It is a heavy rubberized plastic bag that you can fill with weeds and then dump in the compost or fill with a soil and compost mixture for amending gardens or who know what else you could use it for. Once you have finished with it you just rinse it off and let it dry and it is ready for the next adventure. I have not used it yet but I think is a great idea. I have reused peat moss bags or top soil bags before but they get old quick. This seems to be just a bit sturdier but still light weight. I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. diene

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not received for July (YET!!!)

Ggwrn
    Everafter
    Booster1
    Eliz33
    Dawiff
    PlantladyJan
    Lbmoore
    SandysGardens
    Gardnwatch
    CompostChick
    Rudybacon
    WindsurfGirl
    Crazy4hydranga
    Billie_IN
    Gail2568
    Pattyp2257

• cassiet
    18 years ago

I received a lovely package from my pal today. I got a package of stationery with very pretty little flowers on it. I also got a pack of wellness tea. My pal also wrote me a sweet note as she always does which I very much enjoy.

Pal to answer your questions. Jenn is doing well and has not had an attack since June 19th. I hope she never has one again. My mother is still ill however she has several chronic illnesses. She was recently diagnosed with COPD. I don't think she realizes the seriousness of the disease although the doctor told her. I haven't the heart to tell her. I honestly think she is in denial. As for my birthday... I had a lovely time and I love to laugh. I try to laugh as much as I can and find laughter in almost anything. Not only is it good for your soul but lowers your blood pressure.

Pal thank you for always asking of my family and the lovely notes you include. They are precious to me and very special.

PS I have a seed grown canna BLOOMING!!!!! YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEE My very first. I will take a picture and post when I figure out how

Cassie

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

A big thanks goes out to my special pal!! Thanks so much for the care package!! This month the cutest butterfly to put on a pot was sent!! Just adore it and have chosen a special planter for it!! I really like the little scrapbook! How cute!! Thanks! Thanks also for the tea and candies!! Both much appreciated and put to good use!! LOL
    How are you? I like getting your monthly cards and wish you would tell me a little bit about yourself!! So demanding aren't I?? Got some new plants so off planting I go!! Cool down into the 70's !! Feels good!! Take care!

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Pal - I am late, late, late, but your box is now in the mail. Enjoy!!

Sandy

• dawiff
    18 years ago

I got a lovely box from my Secret Pal today, it really cheered me up! There was a very pretty dangly made of colored glass that is already hanging outside, and some seeds (always a good choice), and the cutest Mary Englebreit cards.

I loved your note too, Secret Pal, sorry it has been so hot where you are, we had some very hot days this past week too, where the heat index put us up in the triple digits, the humidity was just exhausting.

Thanks for the pretty pictures of your flowers, I love the daylilies. You did offer two of them, and I have to say I would love to get them! Both of the ones that you put stars next to the photos will look lovely in my garden. This fall I am going to redo the bed by my driveway (for about the third time since I put it in) and those daylilies will look wonderful in there.

Thanks again for the great and very welcome package, Secret Pal!

Alison

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

End of July & here's who I've got down as NOT receiving:
    Ggwrn
    Everafter
    CompostChick
    Crazy4hydranga
    Pattyp2257
    Booster1
    Eliz33
    Rudybacon
    Billie_IN
    Lbmoore
    SandysGardens
    Gardnwatch
    WindsurfGirl
    Gail2568

I'm sorry to my pal but I just this morning mailed to my pal. Now, I'm off to the lake for my son's 15th birthday (that's what he wanted to do) so I will check any emails when I get back.

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Kathy,
    I have mailed my pal her package for August... Yes, I KNOW it's early but it was READY!!! My dear not so secret pal... you have a couple of small plants in your package. Open when you get it ASAP. Also breakables in box.

Cassie

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

I received my box from my pal on the 28th, but wasn't able to post until this morning. Thanks so much for the lovely gifts - they are displayed and being used. Had to tell my youngest the note pad was mine, so now it's hanging on the fridge for all to use. Thanks again for the nice items.

In regard to your request for me to post a pic or two of the cabin. I wil try to remember to take our new digital camera to the lake next weekend and get a few pics for you. Thanks for asking about it.

Like you, I have squash, zuchinni (black and yellow) everywhere in the garden. I have tried your squash recipe and everyone loves it!! If you have any other recipes, send them on!

Take care
    Sandy

• lbmoore
    18 years ago

I recvd my July box today, probably should have gotten on Saturday but my postal carrier likes to take Saturdays off.

My pal sent me a metal purse shape planter that is really great. I have one that is cone shape that hangs on my wall in my bedroom that matches it, so it will go in my bedroom also. How did you know?

I also recvd a address/date book that will come in handy. My son loved the poppers and confetti gun, he says to tell you thank you.

And last but not least, a rubber stamp that is flowers and a couple of ink pads. I love to stamp my envies before sending them out and now I have a new stamp to play with!

Thanks pal, you have a way of knowing what I like and making me feel special.

Lisa

• ggwrn
    18 years ago

I received a great package from my pal yesterday. It had a lilly plant, and a very cute birdhouse. Thank You!! The package was great. Don't feel bad that the box wasn't packed full, you have been more than generous every month. If you are busy, a card is plenty. Thank you again!

Ginger

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

August is already here & I've started a thread for that month, so everyone post on that month's thread. I've emailed all the pals who I don't have checked off as receiving or sending or both for July. Those people can post here when they receive if they wish.

July NOT RECEIVED/NOT POSTED RECEIVED:

Everafter
    Booster1
    Eliz33
    Gardnwatch
    CompostChick
    Rudybacon
    WinsurfGirl
    Billie_IN
    Crazy4hydranga
    Gail2568
    Pattyp2257

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

• booster1
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

I received beautiful dahlia bulbs today from my secret pal. Since I live in Iowa, does anyone know if I should go ahead and plant now?
    thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    thanks
    Leslie

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I received my July package from my secret pal.
    Thank you .
    The note about the grasshoppers made me laugh.
    If you send me grasshoppers, I will send you all the
    Japanese beetles in my yard... Ha Ha Fair exchange?
    Have a great summer...hang in there. The heat and bugs will be gone shortly and then we will have to deal with the cold and snow. Yuck... I will take the heat any day.
    Bonnie