SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbmoore_gw

Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...March check in

lbmoore
19 years ago

I hope March finds everyone well with spring fever!

Comments (75)

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My most wated plant would be Black Elephant Ears! I will update my page soon, too, that is a great idea to remind us all to do on a regular basis.

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

I mailed my Secret Pal's package today. She is not on the list as not receiving for last month. I never saw a post. I hope that everything is ok?

• Related Discussions

Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...January check in

Q

Comments (77)
    Still haven't checked my email but will be checking in the next day or so. I'll reply to all emails then but since I will probably have hundreds (lol!) it may take some time to get through them all. Please be patient with me just alittle longer. I'll be sending emails to the Secret Pals who haven't sent anything. If anyone wants to sign up as a second SP (& you haven't already sent me an email) let me know. I may start a new thread with this same information but as of January 31st, here's my list of not received/received: Not Received for January 2005: Judgemarykali Kathy547 Suzydaze (didn't post rec'd/Dec) Diene (second month/nothing) Eliz33 Norma_az (didn't post rec'd/Dec) lbmoore SandysGardens CompostChick Abitodd (second month/nothing) WindsurfGirl(2nd month/nothing) KnoxvilleGirl(2nd month/nothing) Tropicalfreak Cassiet (2nd month/nothing/SP says sent, maybe wrong address?) Received for January 2005: Soaprah Ggwrn Theresan Kimskreations Everafter Sunshine123 BecksterCA Nitenut Gulliblevolunter Veeja11 Booster1 Darlene 87 GardenHits DaWiff PlantladyJan Gardnwatch Rudybacon MudPlayingFamilysMom Leann2800 If I have missed someone, or gotten you in the wrong list, please let me know!
    ...See More

NEW: collectors corner year round new robin

Q

Comments (105)
    ok sent out mellens and earthys questionares to everyone. Mailed them in two different ways - forwarded and in the big word document. Only received an error message for veeje on 2 so far. Now everyone should have everyone's questionares. All books should be mailed out by now. Moving on to March - Feel free to pick your partner baised on things you have that you think they would want baised on the questionares. PLEASE POST who you want as there have been so many problems with emails. I will be making a new thread soon as this one is filling up. I will name it MARCH collectors Corner please post there and I will go and add each person who listed on this thread to that thread when I get the extra time (not today though)... Melinda as for your quest5ion. And by collections do you go by the question of things they collect on the questionnaire or the type of flowers they collect or what? MY REPLY: I don't know how you can send flowers with it being so cold, but if you want you can send an IOU or something like that for the spring. Otherwise - try to go off what they have on their questioinares or even on their gardenweb pages. Just do the best you can. However I know that some people don't have much listed on their questionares so I don't know what to do about that. Glad everyone is enjoying your books!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap - August check-in

Q

Comments (42)
    Hello Pal! I received a wonderful package today from my pal. A nice assortment of a variety of different coffees. I love flavored coffee, and will be treating myself to a pot on my day off this coming Friday. Don't worry about not sending me a bunch of plants; I know what you mean by not having a bunch ready to divide, etc. Sounds like you are really having a dry summer. We had rain through June, then a heat wave for most of July & August and now a little relief. We have set heat records here. I figured out how to use the digital camera and how to post pics, so I will post a pic that you have requested. One is a pic of our cabin as I stand on the end of the dock and the other from my neighbors dock. The one from the neighbors dock shows the beginnings of the flower bed/strip I am starting. It will be about 75 - 100 ft long and 15 ft wide when done. I have a long ways to go, and it's a lot of clay to dig through and out. Pictures make it look a lot nicer shape than it is. Needs lots of updating. Now to figure out how to make them smaller, they are way to big - sorry about this.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap.....September Check-In

Q

Comments (39)
    I received a wonderful birthday box from my secret pal! I love it! I've tried to send a picture but it's not working for me. So, here's a link: http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/everafter/Secret+Pal+Birthday+Box.JPG.html I absolutely love cookbooks, bulbs (tulips are my favorites) along with the bulb planter and gloves, the lavender pot with seeds is so perfect for me, citrinella candles are great for our area!, butterfly picture and frame is too cute and the glass rose is already on a shelf! Everything is wonderful and I'm sure I left something out as there was sooooo much! Thank you very much! Susan
    ...See More
  • everafter
    19 years ago

Sorry if I confused anyone. ;) Yes, I received for February.

We were 81 degrees on Saturday and down to 32 last night. *sigh* I want to transfer my indoor plants outside. I've just gotta wait it out. :0)

Susan

Okay, here's the "Haven't Received for March" list:
    Everafter - (posted rec'd but isn't that for Feb.?)

• nitenut
    19 years ago

A big thank you yet again for my wonderful secret pal. I just planted the bulbs yesterday and can't wait to see them blooming! The weather here has been incredible for March so I may not have to wait long. The flower press book is tooooo cute, can't wait to get some violas drying in there. I've never seen one so compact. My daughter snagged the notebook. And the little glass ladybug and bee are darling. I had purchased a yellow bug and alligator like these last year but couldn't justify getting more, so it made a wonderful gift.I just love them. They went right up on my shelf with my other assorted glass creatures. Your gifts always bring a smile, thank you, and I hope you have a great Easter and St. Patty's day too!

• sandysgardens
    19 years ago

Just want to say I received a wonderful package today (Monday) from my new secret pal. I love the candle - it's so pretty it will be hard for me to burn. I have already placed a note by it telling the daughters, "hands off". The Easter pot is lovely and all the goodies inside. Again a note laying by it saying, "hands off till after Easter". I want to enjoy it as a center piece until then.

Pal - It's great to have you as a pal and yes, I beleive we have lots in common as your note says. It would be great to talk to you about these things, but I guess that will have to wait for another day!!

Thanks
    Sandy

• sandysgardens
    19 years ago

To my Pal - I mailed out your box today!!!

Sandy

• gardnwatch
    19 years ago

Secret Pal...I received my March package on my birthday yesterday. What a clever pal you are to time my package to arrive on my special day.
    Just so happens my pal's daughter shares the same day as mine....so Happy Birthday to her too.
    My package was full of lots of nice goodies..handcream and very practical things I can use and things to put in my garden. Thank you for making my birthday a special time.

Bonnie

• gardnwatch
    19 years ago

I mailed my secret pal her package today.

Bonnie

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

Once again my Secret Pal has proven to be a talented card maker. I really do enjoy them probably more then you think. I have a computer room or my office LOL. I hang them all on the back of the door and show them off. They are mixed with other cards from the GW. My own little place in the house. Thank you for the seeds they are always nice to get to have to keep to sow to give. Thank you have a great day!
    Oh oh and the hand lotion, soap, and nail brush are going to good use. I am allergic to most lotions but not the one you sent. Thanks

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I received from my pal a really nice Easter card. Pal, here's the answers to your questions (hope no one cares I'm putting them here):

1. I have no favorite color although I tend to favor yellows, whites, flowers that are bi- & tri-colored, blacks & browns, greens, blues, pastels, brights, etc. Indoors, my husband loves the color green so my kitchen is green, yellow, & white with alittle blue. The bathroom is hunter green & burgundy, & the living room has the "vintage" 1970 green carpet that I would love to rip out.

2. I love to read & will read anything that pipes my interest at the time. I've read horror & then turned around & read a gardening book or historical, anything really except those bodice rippers (like our husbands really look like THOSE guys on the covers! LOL!). Used is fine, in fact, I prefer getting used ones.

3. My hobbies are: spending time with my kids, spending time away from my kids, going to flea markets & thrift stores (in fact, my whole house is flea market, thrift store, or yard sale finds), watching the birds & butterflies, nature stuff like camping, hiking, etc., anything to do with animals. I like crafts & handmade/homemade things although I'm not very good at doing crafts. I can't sew at all but I like crochet & knit stuff (just not double knit clothes!). I would love to learn how to make a quilt but haven't the patience. I like candles, potpourri, stuff like that. And I am a reality tv fanatic. I'm such a nerd that I rush home so I don't miss Survivor or Amazing Race. I'm sorry, I know I sound so boring (in fact, I just had to wake myself up!). Anyway, I hope this has answered your questions.

I also got some Easter candy - chocolate bunnies & eggs - which the kiddos more than helped themselves too. I got some stickers that my daughter is trying to talk me out off, as well as this pretty little ceremic Easter doo-dad that she's also trying to talk me into giving her. It looks like a gift bag & has little bunnies on it. I also got some garden gloves which are very welcomed, a set of about 15 peat pots, & some sandalwood soap that smells so good! The soap is by a company called Ten Thousand Villages, which provides income to third world people by marketing their handicrafts & telling their stories in North America. The box also reads, "Your purchase provides adequate housing & water, medical assistance & education funds". This soap was crafted in India (also on the box) so I can use it for my Girl Scout project (our country we're doing things on is India). I absolutely LOVE products that are locally made or that benefit the people who make them! Thank you so much secret pal!!!

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

Kathy don't feel bad I am totally addicted to reality TV also. Not really an Amazing Race fan but Amber and Rob are on it so now I am watching. Survivor is tonight. Can't wait!

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

I got a surprise when I came in this morning. A packages from one of my secret pals. ... Secret Pal I do not know where you got the card with the doxies on them. But I love it. I have already planted the mint and lemon balm. I love herbs and mints., I will plant the basil seeds this weekend. The candles are so cute in the tins I have several places to put them, I just have not figured out where yet. Of course you can never go wrong with chocolates....hmmmm yummy. Thank you so much secret pal. I only hope the secret pal sending to you knows you as well as you seem to know me. In the last few month, my secret pal has given me many of the seeds that were on my wanted trade list....thank you so much!!!!

Vicki

as to the question in this thread about everyone's most wanted plant, I have a three.
    Alpine Strawberry
    Vanilla Grass
    Holly Fern Cyrtomium falcatum

• leann2800
    19 years ago

I have had the most dreadful month. But, my Secret Pal made things so much better. After the longest day on record, I come home and my child is jumping up and down happy for me because I got a package from my Secret Pal. He knew it would make my day and he was tickled pink to be the one to see it first so he could give it to me. He did his best to steal my Secret Pal's glory...afterall he was the deliverer. :) But, I know that this box came from miles away from someone who did not even have a clue how much it would mean to me and probably does not know just how special she is. YOU ARE SOOOOO SPECIAL Secret Pal. I hope someone is spoiling you as much as you are spoiling me.

My secret buddy sent me two magazines including my favorite Birds and Bees. I also got the kewlest garden decoration. Its called a wooden bungee bug. I've never seen one before.It's so neat. I have to find that charger to my digital camera so I can show you guys. I also got a dish towel with a garden motif and a crocheted handle. Are you making this stuff for me? That is so much trouble but I appreciate it so much.

Silly me, I should have mentioned this first. I got shamrocks just in time for St. Patricks Day! I've never seen clover like that. The whole package was green with coins and shamrocks, complete with St. Patty Day card! It was very pretty. In addition to that I recieved a succulent (like aloe vera) and some green candy. It will be a miracle if I can keep my kid from running off with that succulent. He love sharp pointy plants and ferns. He has already taken half the green chocolate mints and we are combing the stores here to see if they have them here. It is too cool getting stuff from other places and not knowing what you'll get.

Then, there's the birdhouse and seeds! She put so much in my box! If it ever quits raining here, I know just the place to put that birdhouse and where I am going to plant those vines.

And in the meantime, I get to use the stuff in the little tin she sent me. There were two kinds of soaps and two kinds of lotions. And a stained glass candle holder with tulips. That's going on my back porch with all my plants and lawn chairs. I am going to sit and relax by candlelight and sip the tea and eat the chocolate she sent.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll be productive after that and do some real work. But, I doubt it. The most work I'll probably do is scribble away garden stuff on the new notepad my Secret Pal gave me and play with the stickers I got. :)

Happy St. Patricks Day to my Secret Pal and all the Secret Pals out there!!!!

Leann :)

• diene
    19 years ago

I sent my package but I have a feeling it will not be sufficient. I guess I did not understand the concept of this. I thought it was just a nice surprise hopefully every month. Since I have only received one package since the inception, I am grateful for what I received. Thank you secret pal!! To those of you measuring what you receive to see if it is good enough, I apologize. My meager offerings are apparently not going to be sufficient but since my heart is in the right place, I have no regrets. Thanks to Kathy for all her work and her helpers. Spring is just around the corner, enjoy.

• leann2800
    19 years ago

Diene,
    You should not feel what you have been sending has been insufficient. This is my fourth month and what I have sent and what I recieved have not been large amounts everytime. I have sent and recieved smaller packages. Some months it can be hard to have time to send anything. This month my secret pal was extra special to me to be sure. But, the little things always mean a lot. Always.
    To me, its the little things that mean the most. And then for the those little things to be a surprise?? I think thats why we all signed up. I'm sure your secret pal feels blessed. Don't feel discouraged. That would be worse than if you had not joined at all.
    Glad you are trading with us,
    Leann

• gardnwatch
    19 years ago

I have a suggestion after reading the posts here for several months and from several other secret pal exchanges.
    Why don't we post when we receive and when we send a package to and from our pals and dispense with the elaborate listing of each item we receive in each package.It seems to be embarassing and discouraging at times for some people as they consider how meager or extravagant some packages are compared to others.
    No one should feel like they need to send more or go out and buy alot of things they can't afford, just to keep up with what other people are sending their pals.
    I agree that the original idea of this swap has somewhat changed.
    Would it be too hard to place an approximate ceiling on the amount allowed to be spent each month? Perhaps this would encourage more homemade gifts and/or cards with special notes to be written instead of money spent on a box full of things.
    I enjoy every little thing my pal sends me each month, and I know she appreciates hearing that I have received them safely and like them alot. Maybe mentioning one special item from the package and why, would be sufficient enough to let others know what we received and how grateful we are to be a part of this exchange .

Bonnie

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

After reading the recent posts I got up from the computer feeling quite depleted. I would like to share a couple feelings/thoughts with everyone and by the time I'm done writing this I'm sure my Secret Pal will know who I am but at this point, it doesn't matter as at least if she knows who I am we can e-mail and get to know eachother even better.

Here are a few of my thoughts.

This is the very first Round Robin that I have been involved in and I LOVE it more than anything! I love being somewhere and saying "wow, my Secret Pal will love this.....and what do you know, it's on sale"

I also look forward to reading what everyone has received as it gives me little ideas (I had never thought of sending a journal or calendar etc.) which are inexpensive but greatly appreciated.

It would be a lie to say that I don't look forward to hearing from my Secret Pal every month but I don't compare what she sent me to what I sent, this wasn't supposed to be the meaning of this exchange.

Some months I send more than others depending on finances etc. and most of the things I pick up on sale when I see them at our discount stores around here. Everyone has different discount stores and different items in those discount stores.

Some things I have even "regifted" from items I received at Christmas that I wouldn't use but knew someone would like. AND SHE DID!

The thing that really touches me the most is when my Secret Pal comments on the forum that she received my letter. I try to write at least once a week and share my good days and bad days with her. Just opening your mailbox to find something other than a bill just for you is a nice gesture in itself.

I know that being from the North that right now we can't just go out to the garden and dig something up so we are forced to send "material" items for the time being but you can guarantee that once I get to get out there and play in the mud that I will be sending plants which will not cost me a dime other than shipping.

PLEASE if you are taking the posts to heart, DON'T compare yourself or your boxes as this isn't a competition and we all come from different family structures and financial background but we ALL come from the same GARDENING FAMILY!

Some people are in more than 1 swap and have to divide their month between Robin's and others have opted to just join this Robin and spoil their Secret Pal every once in a while....either way is wonderful. As mentioned, it's really just opening the mailbox and finding something there from someone you don't know.

Seed packets are a dime a dozen and alot of people are lucky enough to have green thumbs at starting seeds (unlike me), cuttings from houseplants are free and most of the items listed in peoples boxes can be found VERY inexpensively. The list of what is in people's boxes may be lengthy but there may only be 1 big item and a whole bunch of small things. Writing letters costs $.37 and you can do that weekly.

So before people compare themselves or what they sent, please remember what this exchange is all about. THINKING OF SOMEONE ELSE and letting them know in subtle little ways.

I hope this has brought encouragement and Secret Pal if you know who I am now, that's OK.....Send me an E-mail friend :)

• leann2800
    19 years ago

I enjoy reading the items that others post as well. I like the ideas of gifts. It helps not only in what to give my Secret Pal but also gifts around the office or home. But, I do agree it is not the amount of items or cost of items that should be considered. The part that made my Secret Pal's gift so special was that it was a good thing just for me. It was not a bill or problem or someone who needed something. It was just an act of kindness by someone who expected nothing but the knowledge that I recieved it and enjoyed it.
    And I did :).
    And I hope the person who gets my package has a nice day as well.

Leann

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

I love my Secret Pals! I have THE BEST pal to send to and THE BEST pal to receive from. There have been two major things which have made a positive difference in my life over these always tough winter months: My secret pals and winter sowing. It's not just the receiving that makes my day. What's happened is that the way I view everyday shopping "chores" has changed. What was drudgery is now exciting. It's sort of like young love in that everywhere I go, I see things w/the eye of "Oh, that fits my pal's profile! I bet she'd get a kick out of that!" Yes, I tend to pack major boxes. Yes, I play games w/myself over the boxes that arrive so that I get the maximum possible pleasure out of the anticipation and discovery.

It wouldn't matter who my pals were as long as they weren't turkeys who didn't post or intentionally bother to send. If something didn't show in my box for the month, I wouldn't feel gyped; I'd feel CONCERNED that my pal was enduring a rocky road, and I'd be wishing there were some way that I could reach out and support her through it. There will be few pals on the list who DON'T travel some of those roads unexpectedly during the year. Just like most people, I wind up with a few stones in my path on a regular basis. Those stones will always crop up. But thanks in part to my pals, there are also now many more pleasant things to focus on.

I'm limited in the ways that I can thank my pal. One way is through my effusive posts of appreciation. Even those can't show how much her rememberances touch my family. I can treat the pal I send to with love and appreciation in return. And I have a few things up my sleeve to bring a little extra joy to my sender throughout the year. If you met me, you'd know that I'm not a "keeping up with Joneses" type of person, but a person who takes great joy in brightening other's days. It wouldn't matter if I'd been assigned a pal who never remembered me; I'd still be trying to send my pal packages that would make her eyes sparkle because knowing she's happy is powerful tonic to me, as well. Honestly, I don't think I'd get nearly the excitement out of searching and sending, and wouldn't feel the same attachment if all that anyone posted was, "Package arrived. Thanks."

Same thing w/the rememberances my pal sends to me. I am just BURSTING to get on here and describe each thing and our reaction to it in minute detail. It's been all I can do to hold myself back from that (except in Feb. because that's an extra critical month in my emotional calendar). Posting the excitement gives the receiver a chance to relive double enjoy the experience of receiving. The only reason I don't usually give a complete blow-by-blow account is because I worry that others may be hurt. Still, I do my darndest to let her know how very much she's appreciated. I'll never feel like I can do enough on that account.

I recognize that when people post ecstatic accounts of their secret pal receipts that some others will feel that the gifts they've sent are inadequate. Please do not feel that way. I know from my own experience as a receiver that it is not so much the specifics of what physically comes, but the piece of someone's heart that arrives in the mail is what causes the real jubilation. Remember the song, "The Little Drummer Boy"? It's what comes from the heart that makes the gift. I truly hope that my own pals recognize the heart behind the gifts they receive and love their gifts of cards, letters, objects for that more than anything.

This pal swap was my first. I've always loved to give, but it's been many years since I cared much about receiving. This swap changed my outlook. Suddenly, there is someone who is paying attention to the types of things that I might actually want, yet not bother to get myself. (Young kids and hubby don't seem to put much attention into that area.) There is a person paying attention to ME! (Golly, didn't know before that I had this self-centered aspect, but it's been great learning to indulge it now and then;o) I'm trying to indulge someone else the same way.

Large, medium, small - gifts, cards, or letters - it doesn't matter as long as the heart is in there.

Oh, I WISH that I had time to make the things that I would love to for my pal. I love to make and give handmade items. I WISH I had a mature garden to dig and sprout zone appropriate cuttings from. I WISH I had time to legibly hand write a letter (or at least had a printer so that I could type it out). It's all I can do to get a few lengthy posts written, usually at 2AM. In the meantime, my pal has to settle for what I come across as I browse the aisles of stores and find things I think will tickle her fancy. I want my pal to feel spoiled. I want her to know she is special. She IS special. The more she posts, the better I know her. I love her posts because they show her personality, give me insight on her life, and let me know that I brought her joy for at least one afternoon. I love the posts that OTHERS make because I know that their lives have been brightened. I worry when someone doesn't hear from a pal for a month.

Secret Pal exchanges aren't really so much about gifts as they are about building relationships. It's the caring and sincerity that arrive in whatever in the mail that is the REAL gift. No one should ever read a post about items and feel she didn't send enough. If your HEART was in your mailing, you sent the most precious gift there is, no matter what form it took.

I am such a lucky person. I have pals with heart! They each show it in their own way, but that caring means the world to me. I think that's what makes every pal special and the real thrill of the exchange - meeting and caring about other REAL people, even if we never meet in person.

So, I'm saying make, purchase, dig, write - whatever is your own way of sharing your caring spirit - Post a little about your receipts or the most minute detail - whatever is most comfortable and brings joy to the recipient. We each have our own ways of sharing our love and joy and should not feel that we are any less worthy because other's ways are different. This is a very large group and there will always be much diversity. I think we'll all be happier if we just sit back and accept each other the way we are instead of comparing ourselves and feeling that we are lacking. We are each complete. Each, unique. There is NO SINGLE BEST way to be a pal. I'd rather appreciate the differences than worry about changing myself or my pals to fit into styles that weren't natural for each of us.

psst! There's just NO WAY that I'm going to run around trying to keep account of how much I spend on each pal to keep it w/in anyone else's specification. My pals are stuck getting whatever catches my fancy, their profiles, my time and wallet. The challenge of adding bookkeeping to this process would set my head in an uproar because I don't have the resources to send those handmade, dug, rooted, carefully penned tomes. LOL Believe it or not, that's what I'd rather be sending because those things are SO straight from the heart, but my pals are stuck w/store-bought for now.

• becksterca
    19 years ago

I received a great letter from my pal.
    since everyones adding their 2 cents...here's mine.
    I love receiving a letter or a card from my pal! I don't need a box stuffed full of goodies....although they are fun.
    Just being remembered and thought of by someone is wonderful and can really brighten a gloomy day.
    The only frustration I've had is not being able to write back to my dear, great pal....but that might not be a problem anymore(wink,wink sp).
    Becky

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

I disagree with kimskreations in a few areas.

I like posting what I received, since I cannot write my secret pal,, how are they to know what I liked or really appreciated?

And I like knowing if what I sent was enjoyed or not. The first month my pay just sayed something breif, like "received". Which made me wonder if she did not like what I sent or if she was having a bad day or if there was something I could pray about etc.
    Since my being her pal is a "secret". The only way I have to know what is going on with her this month, is by what is said in this forum.

ALSO since there are a few of us that have more than one pal, and the pals send using computereized postage, I have no way of knowing which pal sent what, so by posting the items, each pal will know when their package was received, andf Kathy can track who has not sent.

Sometimes I will send something(s) I bought, othertimes something I made, sometimes I do not have the money for a big postage bill, so it will be something small. But I always try to keep my pals on their toes. I hope it brightens their day.

FYI
    I received a ripped up envelope the other day from the post office, with an apology letter. It seemed the envelope got caught in the postal equipment.
    All that was left of the envelope was
    in the FROM area the words Secret Pal (cassies)
    which is funny, because I am not in cassies swap
    and in the TO section part of my address. (figured out it was my address from the partial address).

I do not know what was in the envelope...or if it was from this swap or not. But hopefully if the person who sent it is in this group, they will know why I did not post that I received something.

• rudybacon
    19 years ago

This whole group sounds like a wonderful bunch of people. It really would be a shame to have some feel like their secret pal offerings are not up to par. I hope to get to know more about everyone by their postings. It is so wonderful to feel like you know someone when you get a chance to respond to their posts for seed or plant exchanges.

I don't even mind reading about others bounty while waiting for my secret pal to send to me. I think waiting and wondering when it will come in the mail gives me something to look forward to that just makes my day. Like someone else said, just knowing that someone is thinking of you is great.

Kathy

• diene
    19 years ago

This is a special note to Kathy who has twice now sent me a package. The first had some lovely paperwhites. Today's box had chocolate!!! It arrived today and I did not have a chance to open it before dinner. After eating we were lamenting not having any dessert specifically chocolate. Lo and behold, when I remembered the box and opened it, it was full of chocolate bars and boxes of chocolate. She also included a nice note. Thanks Kathy, please know that it was a wonderful surprise and not necessary.
    But I was always taught that when someone gives a gift you do not reject it but just make sure their generousity is appreciated. Thank you for the unexpected pleasure. diene

• abitodd
    19 years ago

Good Evening All,

Well you can all say you have the best SP but you know what if it is measured in what you got the whole point here is lost. So far I have received several things from my SP that mean more to me than if they had sent me a million bucks of cold hard cash. The types of things they send are things they have found on their journeys and did not cost them anything but time. The seashells and Sand Dollars mean more to me then all the bought gifts in the world. Well I got my gift today from my secret pal and the one thing that I most enjoyed was the Story of the Sand Dollar. All of the seashells she/he has sent me go into a bowl with the ones my children have picked up and given to me over the years. These are the type things that have a memory behind them. These are the things I would rather have. I also received some really cute refrigerator magnets and a real cute bunny planter...the planter looks like the older type planters that I collect. I am not sure if it is or just appears to be but it will take a home with my older planters...the only thing that would make the planter any better is if it had been cracked and glued back...Those are the ones that are the best. I have collected old planters for years...some I have dug out of others garbage and some I have picked up at garage, yard and rummage sales. I love these so SP if you have those types of things send them on...they will have a home here. I am not a materialistic type person and like the old saying goes..."One man's/woman's trash is another man's/woman's treasure" I like the shells and planters...the older the better. If I was still able to get around like I use to I would be out at 5am on Friday and Saturday morning hitting all the yard sales. So whoever is my SP...you are doing a great job and my daughter thanks you for the Legend of the Sand Dollar. She is going to take it with her on a church outing tomorrow to share with the others. She has also been threatened within an inch of her life if she loses it...lol She has it all packed up in a clear box so it can be viewed with out being handled. We have decided to display it that way and frame the story to go with it. Oh and the seeds you sent....I about passed out. My daughter, mother and I where looking at pictures of these last Sunday and I had called my favorite nurseryman to see if he could get me seeds or plants for these...He is trying to get me plants of "Desdemona", If he does I will have two varieties...I can not wait to see these babies bloom. Ok I am going to give up the grandstand with one last thing. There are stores all over the place where things can be bought but it takes a bigger person to send the types of things from the heart like mine has sent. I always know I am getting shells and I wait on that package every month to see what I get. I so love the shells my SP sends as we only get to go to the Gulf of Mexico and the shells are tiny and almost always chipped and broken. I love the big whole ones...As far as that goes the ones my SP sends could be broken in half and be bigger than the ones we find. OK my final last words. You are very much appreciated SP and I look forward to getting my shells and other things you send each month. Oh by the way SP the primrose you sent me is 3 times the size it was when you sent it to me...it loves it here.

abitodd

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

Sorry, it's been one heck of a week for me! I forgot all my paperwork with lists of pals to each other so I can't email anyone because I don't know who each pal belongs too without the list, so this may be redundant.

Here's who hasn't received for March so far by my records (or hasn't posted that they received). Remember, we only have 13 days left in the month!
    GardenHits
    Gulliblevolunteer
    Theresan
    Kimskreations
    Everafter - your pal mailed this week
    Diene
    Sunshine123
    GardenHits (2nd pal)
    Eliz33
    DaWiff
    PlantladyJan
    Lbmoore
    SandysGardens
    Gardnwatch
    CompostChick
    Rudybacon
    Abitodd
    KnoxvilleGirl

Remember, if you don't post, neither myself or your pal knows that you received your end!!!

This swap was never supposed to make anyone feel like they had to go take out a loan to send something each month. I hope my pal doesn't mind, but everything I've sent came from Dollar Tree & other dollar-type stores, or on clearance racks. She & others who haven't received from a pal have gotten things I had left over from my job doing demos, which were free for me (my pal has probably figured out who her pal is now I guess).

Please, don't feel you have to compete with someone else! One person may have a ton of stuff in their yard that they can dig up so that when their pal posts, it looks like they spent alot of money when in reality maybe all they paid for was the postage. If you want, set a limit as to how much you can spend. You can tell your pal, or not, it's up to you. You can post what you received or not, again, it's up to you. As has already been said, I too like reading what other people send so that I can get ideas. Sure, sometimes I feel like maybe my pal got a little stiffed but then she posts she liked what I sent so then I'm happy. I don't send letters to my pal because I'm too lazy & forgetful but they are really nice to receive & I would count that as my month's package. Others may disagree.

Can I tell you a story? I was a nerd in school & was always reading books. I especially liked the books from the 50s & 60s when the boys were respectful. I decided to start myself a hope chest after reading about them in a book. I cleaned up & painted my dad's old trunk from the Army & bought stuff with my babysitting money. When I was about 15 or 16, my grandmother asked me since they didn't have much money, would I accept something used for Christmas if that's all she could give me? Of course I said yes. When Christmas came around, she apologized for giving me something old but said it could go into my hope chest. When I opened the box it was a set of the ugliest mushroom ceremic canisters I had ever seen. I had never seen an orange so bright! I smiled & thanked my grandmother & thought I'd get rid of them in a few years after she forgot about them. Well, it's been about 20 years & I still have those canisters. Every house I've ever lived I put those canisters in my kitchen. I still don't like them much, but my grandmother's gone now & I've got some little something, with a story no less, to give my daughter. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the point of this story was. Basically, I guess, like what you get or get rid of it, but smile & say thank you. Maybe later on it'll grow on you or you can always regift!

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

BTW, I'm not going to be online until Monday or Tuesday so it'll be awhile for me to send any emails, post here, etc. Alot going on right now so I'm taking a couple days off. My dog got shot (see full story in Southern Forum if you care to) & I want a few days to myself - sorry if you think it's crazy to mourn a dog but I don't care. Take care!

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Kathy! I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! That is terrible. Anyone who has ever loved a pet will totally understand how deeply that loss is felt and how deeply it affects your family.

The one thread of agreement that runs through all of these comments is that what makes any exchange special is that the offering comes from the heart, no matter what form the sender uses to relay that message. Using thank you posts to compare items is useless because the value to the pals is a personal, not material, thing and no one else is going to understand their special meaning as well as that particular set of pals.

Sorry, pal o' mine, I'm just not going to dig up my yard to send you what's already established there. Somehow, I just don't think Southern Pine saplings or camelia bushes would be appropriate for your zone, and my "terrifying tanglefoot" would be a pox on anyone! You, my dear, will have to settle for what I search out for you, and just know that it was chosen with you in mind because I care.

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

Dear Kathy,
    I don't think it is stupid to mourn your dog! I had to have my Shitzu put to sleep. It was the first time I left the house alone after my first child was born and my hubby forgot that she was out side with him. She was hit by a car. I cryed for about 2 weeks everytime I thought about her. I still miss her to this day. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

I try to stay out of post about others. I will just say that I adore my secret pal. I have everything in the world. A great husband 2 beautiful children. We bought our home. My car runs. My parents are crazy but alive. I can't see that I have anything to complain about. Please keep sending I love everything! I need nothing! Everything you send me is iceing on my cake.

Kathy I am on the not received for this month I have received.

• gardnwatch
    19 years ago

Kathy,
    I have also received for this month.
    Bonnie

• sandysgardens
    19 years ago

Kathy - So sorry about the loss of your dog. It's not crazy in my book to need time to adjust, I too have had to deal with several animal losses.

In regard to receiving - I posted earlier (3-14) on this thread that I received for March, so mark me off.

Thanks
    Sandy

• leann2800
    19 years ago

Sorry about the loss of your dog Kathy.

Leann

• dawiff
    19 years ago

Kathy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. It is not the least bit silly to mourn the loss of a pet. They have such wonderful personalities and give us unconditional love. That's a hard thing to lose.

Alison

• everafter
    19 years ago

Well, I accidently posted a received and thank you on another thread. Oh my! Oh well! :)

I received a wonderful package from my secret pal. I got a notecard with Bells of Ireland seeds, a gnome (who is watching me), a journal with a ladybug, flower and ducks, a wooden and metal picture frame AND sugar free Nips candy. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Here's my story: I got married with I was 16 and my husband was 19 (we've been married for 28 years). My mother in law is Jehovah's Witness but I decided to get her something for Christmas anyway. We didn't have much money but I went out and bought her a nightgown as she was always in one. About six months later she asked me if I wanted it back. I just looked at her as I was raised to never give back a present. She stated that she tried to give it away but no one else wanted it either. It hurt my feelings really deep. I would much rather she had rewrapped the present and given it to the elderly or something. Well, to make a story short, I never bought her another present.

Susan

Can I tell you a story?

• ggwrn
    19 years ago

Kathy,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. It is very hard when you lose a pet. We have two dogs, as much trouble as they are I would hate for anything to happen to either of them.
    I've been busy this month and have not mailed my package yet, but I promise I'm heading to the postoffice this morning.

Ginger

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

I recieved my box last week but have had a crazy time of it here in Knoxville, Tn. My work schedule is just INSANE these days - working 54 hour work weeks with only Sundays off. SO, needless to say I did not post my great joy and excitement until today. Sorry, pal! Please know you made me really smile with this gift!

I recieved an Easter basket all wrapped up with a bow on top. Inside the basket was pastel quilling strips for me to do my paper craft hobby with (thanks SO MUCH), peat pods to start some veggies in for my veggie garden, plant stakes that will really come in handy with my veggie garden, plant food for indoor and outdoor plants, peanut butter easter eggs (wow!! I love peanut butter!!) a pretyt ceramic egg, a nice metal container with flowers (which I plan on planting up soon, and a SWEET SWEET card from my SWEET and thoughtful Garden Web secret pal.

You are the best!

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Hi
    I am so sorry I haven't been able to post... computer problems. Secret pal I did receive my package. Thank you so much! I love the spring theme. I can always use plant labels so thanks so much! Love the color! Yellow!! I also received a cute maganet of flowers, some plant food, and some scrapbooking supplies!!I love the paper you wrapped them in....so cute!! You made my day! Guess what the sun is out today....it has been a while since we have seen it!!! You really did send a Spring Package!! I hope you are doing well.

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Kathy
    Sorry for my delayed response. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Please remember Healing takes place in a Garden. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. If you need someone to chat with look me up. I have a pretty sick dog right down and I know how it has affected me. Take Care of Yourself! Do something special for yourself!!

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

I think as far as I am concerned with my pal.....A card, note whatever is fine. I really enjoy hearing from her!! I want this to be a relaxing project. Someone taking the time to send a note or a small gift thinking about you type of thing is fine with me. When I signed up I did not except any material gifts in return but a chance to start a new friendship. Lets face it if it was for material reasons I won't have signed up at all and just bought gifts for myself!! I do enjoy everyone in this exchange...please relax everyone and just enjoy!! May peace and friendship be with all of you. Have a Blessed Easter! Enjoy!

• theresan
    19 years ago

I received my package Saturday. Thank you secret pal!
    The windchime is chiming by the back door.
    The chocolate is GONE of course. Yummm. The kids stole the kisses but I told them the MINT was mine!
    I love the angel.
    Thank you for the bulbs. I had to google scrambled egg daffodils, I have never seen one. The middle really does look like a scrambled egg!

Your packages are always so nice. You make me feel special. Thank you!

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

Here's my updated list for not receiving for March:

BTW, if you haven't received for March & don't see your name, let me know. Same thing for anyone who's name appears here & they have received for this month.

Gulliblevolunter
    Kimskreations
    Diene
    Sunshine123
    GardenHits
    GardenHits
    DaWiff
    Lbmoore
    CompostChick
    Rudybacon
    Abitodd

• sunshine123
    19 years ago

i just sent out to my secret pal today sry so late also i did not recieve anything for this month yet

• dawiff
    19 years ago

Hello All! I just wanted to post a thank you to my Secret Pal! My March package came today and I was thrilled to see it! It was just chock full of wonderful stuff! A big package of scrapbooking stuff, a birdie windchime that I just love, some plant labels that will come in VERY handy, also a cute little bunny statue and a bunny trinket box (both for Easter, but I can still use them out in the garden later). And a nice card!

I also want to let my Secret Pal know that I have been sticking very conscientiously to my diet, and have actually lost some weight, so I want to say a BIG thank you for NOT sending Easter candy! LOL I would not have been able to resist!

I was really glad to hear that you do winter sowing! I do too! I have loads of containers out there, but the weather this week has been above freezing for the first time in months, so I do not have any sprouts yet :( I'm glad to hear that you have been busy planting your hunks of seedlings. Hope they do well for you.

The snow is finally melting off my garden beds, and I have crocuses blooming! Also, lots of little green shoots coming up. It's so wonderful to see the garden waking up again after its long sleep. We might get more snow tonight, but at this point it probably won't last long! I sure hope so anyway.

Thanks so much Secret Pal, you are the best!

Alison

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Hi
    Just a quick Hello !! I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Springtime and a Blessed Easter!! Enjoy your weekend!

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Hehehehehe... Okay I got a package from my pal. She says she didn't send the bulbs from last month which I did receive only I thought this was from another swap. So for LAST month I got the calgon bath wash which was very relaxing indeed from my pal. THIS month I got a lovely journal book which will help me greatly. I am sometimes surprised at how the Lord sends us just what we need when we need it. My pal also sent me a horticulture book which is wonderful. You will never KNOW how hard I tried to read the marked out NAME on the label. I almost burnt a hole in it from the light bulb while trying to read it. GRIN!!!! So pal I hope this clears things up and if you are the person who sent the narcissus bulbs with the lovely pot as stated way above they arrived and are looking wonderful now.
    PS!!!! I'm getting my bulbs from BURPEE on Monday. I'm so excited. And bulbs very soon from Parks as the shipping notices arrived yesterday from both companies. I KNOW spring is coming to WV when the companies ship my spring bulb packages!!!!

Cassie

• rudybacon
    19 years ago

Secret Pal, thanks for the wonderful seeds, these are two of my favorites. I love anything variegated and the Mini bar rose morning glory is just beautiful. I have Malva Zebrinia and have always wanted to try the Mystic Merlin.

You can never have too many items for the bath and body so I will put them to good use. I put some of the body lotion on my hands and they feel like I have a thin smooth glove on. Since I don't like greasy hand creams, this is just wonderful.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been sick. I was sick most of February so I can feel for you. Hope you are feeling better now.

Have a great Easter.
    Kathy

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I've sent emails to everyone who haven't been marked off my list since this is the last week of March. Here's who hasn't been marked off my list as having received:

Gulliblevvolunteer
    Kimskreations
    Diene
    Sunshine123
    GardenHits
    GardenHits
    Lbmoore

BTW, I expect April to be smooth sailing. It's my birthday month & that's going to be your birthday present to me! LOL!

• lbmoore
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi guys! I recvd a wonderful Easter package in the mail today from my secret pal. It was loaded with candy, seeds and adorable Easter decorations!

Thank You Secret Pal, you are very kind.

Lisa

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

I received some seeds from my 2nd secret pal today.
    Not sure if these are for February or March. Thank you so much.

Secret Pal, may I suggest one thing? You might want to send seeds in either a padded envelope, or put something like 2 pieces of thin cardboard together with the seeds in between... As the post office machinery pretty much crush seeds when sent in an envelope.

As to your questions. I recently updated my "my page" on gardenweb. (look just above this message for the link)
    So you might want to take a gander.

TO ALL MEMBERS OF THIS SWAP
    Do not forget to update your page also, with things like hobbies, likes, dislikes, Favorite scents, plants, things you collect etc. This will make it easier on those of us who are stumped with what to get you, or are trying to get you something you will really love. thanks

• leann2800
    19 years ago

Guess what?
    My April package came Early.:)My secret pal sent me another copy of Birds and Blooms. Once upon a time, I was addicted to gardening. Now, I am addicted to birds as well. Birds are just the one part I love about being in Georgia during the winter. We get no snow and we don't get sunshine. We don't really have a fall. But, we do get lots of birds migrating. Birds and butterflies just go with the gardening. I also got this lovely black coffee mug with a shiny flower design. Gorgeous. Did I mention I love dark and bold colors or did that just happen?
    The mug was full of tea and cocoa which went lovely with that locally made candy you sent me. I shared that candy with my mommy. It was too nice to share with my kid. He would have swallowed whole and not savored properly. Kiddo did tell me to tell you thank you for sending the Easter candy and mints. He was happy that you thought of him. Well, I gotta go plant the seeds you sent. The weather is warm and dry today. Hurrah! Have a pleasant day Secret Pal!
    Leann

• diene
    19 years ago

Hello All;
    I received my box, it actually arrived on Friday but with some personal problems I was not able to open it until last night. It has a beautiful copper and glass garden ornament, I wonder if it is homemade as it is very unique. I suppose I could post a picture but I do not know how. It also contained the greatest book and garden furniture you can make yourself. I like to think I am handy, now I will really find out. Last but not least was a neat card, I just read the back of it and discovered I was correct, my secret pal made this ornament, she(he) referred to it as "wire art" which is a term I was unfamiliar with like very much. Thank you for your generousity and uniqueness, I appreciate both qualities. Hope you have a wonderful spring and beautiful garden. You have insured I will. Thanks. diene