SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Asparagus Took Way More Room Than I Thought!

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

I dug up what I thought was a huge area to turn into a brand new asparagus bed and next to it I planned on planting 3 brand new Apache blackberry bushes.

Well the asparaus took up a lot more room and I went well into the area I was planning on putting the blackberry bushes. I dug two trenches (much like in rjinga's post "gus has left the building") about two feet apart and planted the plants a foot apart, so the entire bed is about 5-6 feet deep and 7-8 feet long. There's a good foot in front and in back of each trench and the trench was about a foot wide. I know the more room the better, but I'm on a small urban lot and space is at a premium! Another thing is I took the advice given at that Ohio State site and I filled the trench in completely in one shot rather than backfilling a little at a time as the plants grow - Hope it works as well as they say!! So now I'm going to plant two zucchini plants in the small space I had left that I originally was going to put the blackberries and I'm going to have to put the blackberries in another part of the yard, bordering where I'm putting a new vegetable bed!

I also planted some lettuce and spinach seedlings I had growing in the house along the front edge of the asparagus - I figured I'd pick the lettuce and spinach long before the asparagus needs that space. The seedlings were really tender tho - I think they were too babied in the house. I had to plant them all clumped together still so who knows if I'll get anything out of them!

Anyway, I thought I had more room than I needed - little did I know! Now with the blackberries taking up so much room where I didn't plan for them, I'm not going to be able to plant as much as I thought I would! I'm going to have to plan a little better next year as I don't have any extra room now. I'm planning on planting my hot peppers and mini eggplants in buckets on my deck. I might be adding more containers for things like lettuce - I took up a good sized patch of my existing garden with lettuce I direct sowed and I think I'd rather have that space for something else! It's May and the direct sown lettuce seedlings are barely noticable!!

Lisa

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting