SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deburn_gw

Questions on Al's Gritty Mix

deburn
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I got interested in plants around this time last year, and have been slowly adding to my collection - mostly by getting plants from Home Depot for $1.98 or from Lowe's on clearance, and some by propagation - I now have 46 (mostly small) plants and have been reading a lot, especially on this forum. I also started composting, vermi composting and grew some tomatoes outside

I've decided to slowly repot my plants to Al's Gritty Mix (they're the usual house plants, nothing exotic - yet! and some cacti) and have a few questions:

1. is now too late in the season to be repotting? I live in the Boston area, zone 6

2. Thanks to meyermike_1micha I was able to get the gran i grit. They did not have Turface, but they had Profield Field Dry which they said was the same as Turface MVP. On the bag it says 100% Fullers Earth aka Calcined Clay. Is this an acceptable substitute?

3. Where can I get uncomposted screened pine or fir bark? What are the other names for it? I've checked HD, Lowe's and Walmart without any luck. What I've found has been either too big or too small (shredded) and doesn't even seem to be 100% fir or pine.

4. Where would I be able to buy a mesh to screen all of this?

Thanks for your help!

deburn

Comments (8)