SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elephantpudding

Question re: watering Al's gritty mix

Elephantpudding
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have lurked here for a long time, and started using Al's gritty mix after a couple months if research. I am using Repti-Bark (screened between 1/4" and 1/8"), Turface (screened 1/8" instead of 1/16" to get more consistent particle size) and chicken grit (Also screened at 1/8").

My question is this:

I am watering over a bucket, and adding foliage pro to my water. When I water, the water beging draining out almost immediately, as intended. HOw long do I continue adding water and having water expel from the drainage hole until the turface and bark is "sufficiently moistened?" Does it take just an initial pour, or like a 15 second stream?

Also, any chance that the water that drains into the bucket can be reused for the rest of my plants? I ask this because I have close to 60 house plants (only about 15 currently in gritty mix) and I try to distill my water 24 hours before using. With the gritty miss, it seems like I may need to set some extra gallons up since I go through more water.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope to become an active member of this community! :)

-Deryl

Comments (7)