SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demolitron

Substitute Turface in place of Perlite & More pine bark fines Q's

demolitron
14 years ago

Hello,

First of all, I hope this hasn't been answered elsewhere already. I searched but couldn't find anything but people asking if perlite could be substituted in place of turface for gritty mix...

My question is: Can I use some or replace all of the perlite called for in the 5-1-1 mix with turface? I ask this because I am in Las Vegas. The tomatoes I grew in MG and 5 gallon buckets this last summer needed water morning, noon, and sometimes night. Then I factor in that the 5-1-1 mix will tend to hold onto less water and I worry. Even further, I can't find true pine bark fines. So I am grinding pine bark nuggets into dust to 1/2" pieces (mostly smaller). I've read that the larger pieces and non-composted state will result in even less water retention. Given that, I worry more still.

I am growing tomatoes again this next season. Is my worry justified? And if I use turface will it help me out?

Also, regarding my bark grinding: Since I have 5 months or so until I need it, I am putting it back into the bags after grinding. How much blood meal should I mix in per cubic foot to help accelerate composting? I don't want to put too much resulting is super high N levels and then burn my plants when they are placed into the mix.

Here is a pic of what my ground pine bark looks like. The screen in the picture is 1/2" hardware cloth. There is about 2-3% sap wood in my feed stock. Is that enough to require extra N during the growth cycle.

{{gwi:52789}}

Thanks for your input. This place is great.

Comments (6)