SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_northernlight

Pine Bark Fines VS. Aspen Bark

wi-northernlight
16 years ago

So I have been convinced by the great info in this forum that there is life beyond peat-based potting mixes. I live in Northern Wisconsin and there are not a lot of sources up here for container mixes ingredients.

I began poking around the local Walmart reading labels on the various potting mixes, but could find nothing that used Pine Bark Fines. On the way home I passed a large timber milling facility and stopped to see whatthey had to offer. I enquired of them and sure enough, they had Bark Fines but they were ASPEN Bark Fines. They will sell me all I can carry in a pick-up truck for $20.

They offered me a few cubic feet as a sample, warning that it was quite acidic and though the tomatoes may love them the other plants may not.

They had two varieties:

The first was not screened and consisted of 1-inch chunks to fine bits. It was probably a year or two old and composted such that it felt like peat with chunks of bark in it.

The second variety was screened, more than two years old and was half-inch and smaller in size. It was so well composted that it was almost like soil with chunks in it.

Might either of these two be useful for potting mix?

The price is sure right.

NLight

Comments (14)