SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_parsons3820

fall watering/feeding

ynot
11 years ago

Really enjoy this forum. Have learned so much from experienced growers ... but still have trouble fully understanding/comprehending it all. Please don't get me wrong; I'm not questioning the advice I read; I simply don't get it at times. I think part of my problem lies in the fact that what little experience I have is with perennials and shrubs planted outdoors in the native soil. I'm finding that caring for plants in containers is a new world. Although I've read that this is not the best time to switch plants to a soilless mix, I had to try it! So I now have several hostas, formerly near death from residing in a pot filled with garden soil... I know, stupid me... transplanted into the 5-1-1 mix about which I've received advice.

Now my concerns are watering and feeding from now to spring. In a question regarding trees, I was told to keep the roots just damp enough over the winter to keep them from drying out. Does this apply as well to hostas? Even in the lower temps we're having, I'm still watering every other day to keep the mixture damp. Do I keep this up through the winter? Also,I never ever fertilize plants growing outside in the soil after mid July, but what about plants in containers? Since they don't have the benefit of nutrients from soil, don't they need to be fed? Your advice will be appreciated, and followed.

Comments (6)