SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruet

Using cinder block wall as Tomato planter

ruet
14 years ago

Today I ran into these three images from a fellow in Zaragoza who has an interesting container setup for his tomatoes:

{{gwi:52274}}
{{gwi:52275}}
{{gwi:52276}}

While looking for the interior dimensions of a cinder block to figure out how much soil a stack of 5 would hold, I ran into this article comparing interior temperatures on a

clay flower pot vs a plastic flower pot and a cinder block structure vs an adobe structure. A 16º and 13º temperature difference, respectively. Very illustrative article. Let's hear it for evaporative cooling!

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/Techinv/AdobeLatentHeat.pdf

My question is  what pitfalls would I need to watch out for if I tried putting a couple of tomato plants into the narrow column of soil that fits in a stack of cinder blocks? No PWT issues, correct? :)

I'm thinking it would be a must to shade the cinder blocks with shade cloth to limit solar gain.

I'm also guessing one would be limited to cultivating dwarf bush varieties, though this fellow seems to have some decent sized plants! I've never been very good at estimating dimensions, but I doubt more than

a couple gallons of soil would fit in that space.

Also the article got me thinking. Clay/terra cotta pots are in no way economical around here, but water is cheap. How best would I be able to mimic the evaporative benefits of a clay pot?

All that comes to mind is scrapping the shade cloth and instead draping a cheap rug over the wall and leaving a couple of drip emitters on it. Anyone tried something similar?

Comments (4)