SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greengardener07

Replacing current cinder block retaining wall with brick?

greengardener07
16 years ago

Hi all!

It has been a while since I have posted on this site (winter weather, the holidays and inside projects take away from outside fun).

As spring will be here before we know it, I want to plan out replacing a current cinderblock retaing wall with a brick retaining wall. I am going to take down the current one as it is leaning and the mortar is cracking quite a bit. I will be re-using the current cinder blocks behind the brick I will be placing as the "exterior". Has anyone ever done this?

Here are the steps I have thought out thus far:

1.) Remove cyclone fence along the top of the current wall (behind, not attached to the wall).

2.) Carefully remove current wall.

3.) Remove as much soil that is necessary to put in a footing made of either stone of concrete (not sure which, but whatever I choose will be a foot deep.

4.) Remove as much soil that is necessary to make sure that there is enough drainage behind the new wall by putting stone behind new wall.

5.) Put in cinder block wall with mortar, using the attachment strips (not sure of name, but think flexible rebar) in the mortar so the brick and cinder block wall will be connected.

6.) Finish filling with gravel behind the wall as the courses move upward.

7.) Make sure there are weep holes as the wall will be 3' high at the highest point and 15' long.

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome. I am a beginner when it comes to the brick and mortar thing. I am looking to put up something nice, but not spend a lot of money.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Comments (4)