SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Using a single cinder block as a heat sink/planter for eggplant?

plantslayer
16 years ago

Hello everyone...

I garden in a small (100 ft^2) city plot in the Pacific Northwest, USDA zone 8. The temperatures in the summer generally stay in the high 70s to low 80s for most of the summer (June through early September), and night time temps range from low 50s to low 60s for much of the summer.

This year I planted some eggplants, and while most of them survived and managed to produce fruit, they did not get very big, and were not very prolific (I will still get maybe 3 or 4 tiny eggplants before the end of season- these are Asian variety eggplants). So I have been trying to come up with a way to grow them next year that will keep them warm (eggplants need night time temps of 60 F or better to do well) and healthier without much fuss.

Beyond the normal measures of putting down hoop houses and using plastic mulch to heat up the soil, I had another idea: there are a lot of discarded cinder blocks around, so I thought that maybe planting eggplants inside the blocks themselves (NOT in a raised bed, but one plant per block, inside the hollow space in the block) might help keep the roots warm.

I recently gathered two 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 15 inch blocks, with 1 +inch thick walls. What I would do is knock out the piece of concrete that divides the cinder block in two, leaving basically a hollow square of concrete. Then I would simply place this directly on the ground with the opening running vertically, fill the block about 2/3rds or 3/4th of the way with soil, and plant my eggplant transplants inside this soil when the normal planting time arrives. Since the hollow space in the block would not have a bottom, the roots would eventually be able to grow down into the ground itself. The idea is that the cinder block would absorb heat from sunlight during the day which ought to provide a better climate for the young eggplant. I though about possibly painting the block black to help it absorb more heat, though I suppose that this might be overkill. Also, slugs are a huge problem around here, and it would be easy to put barriers/traps/slugicides around the wall or rim of each block to keep them at bay.

On the one hand, I known that the block would absorb a god deal of heat, but would the setup allow it to really benefit the plant? Also, I am concerned that maybe the earth inside theblock might get too hot. Also, would the soil inside the block drain quickly of water and nutrients? Would the space inside the block be too narrow for the plant initially? Are there other issues that I am not aware of?

If anyone has any comments about this idea, let me know! I suppose if it hasn't been done before, I could give it a try and post my experience here. Your ideas are appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored