SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubber_duckie_27

New raised beds - concrete blocks?

rubber_duckie_27
17 years ago

We bought our house last April and in May I planted a SFG in the existing raised bed (left by the previous homeowners). The bed is 12' long and 8' wide with a 1' center path splitting it into two sides. Constructed of pressure treated lumber, probably a good 5-6 years old. It's only raised about 6" and below it is soil and ledge rock. I had some issues with my beans getting hit by mosaic virus and some kind of fungus attacking my cuke and pumpkin plants. The tomatoes and bush beans and peppers did fabulously, though - and I love the square foot concept.

In April, DH and I are going to rip out the existing bed and distribute the soil to the back of our lot (we're getting a Dumpster in order to clean out our basement and will dispose of the wood at that point). I want to put in two or three 4'x4' beds in place of the 12'x8' bed.

We're not very skilled at building things, nor do we have a vehicle that can transport long boards home from Lowe's. I'd love to use pavers or concrete blocks to build up beds. It doesn't seem like it'd be any more expensive than using plastic lumber and I think it'd be cool to use the "open" part of the block for a flower border! Regardless of what we use, we'll need to do a little leveling (the existing bed is actually not remotely level, which led to some water runoff issues last year).

Does anyone have experience with using concrete blocks or cinderblocks for building raised beds? How much did it cost and how did you install them? Did you have the store deliver them to your home? Does it matter if you use cinderblocks or concrete blocks?

Comments (8)

Sponsored