SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_rumjancevs

Cinder block raised bed & drainage

Alex Rumjancevs
9 years ago

Hi,

I am new to this forum and gardening so please excuse if I do not make sense :)

We moved into a new housing estate where the soil in the garden is nearly all clay, so drainage is a big issue. While I continue to work on the lawn I have made two cinder block raised beds, one right next to another. The first bed is 4 blocks high (around a meter high) while the second one is 3 blocks high (80 cm). I put in a concrete footing for structural support and beds are set right over the clay soil. The reason for the height is more to do with the aesthetics than anything else.

It is time now to start filling the beds with soil, however I am not sure if there is any point in filling them up all the way. I have been considering filling the bottom of the beds with concrete blocks so that the actual depth of the beds is not as deep, however not sure what kind of effect that is going to have on the drainage.

Also, should I cover the inside walls with a plastic to reduce the moisture damaging the concrete blocks? The outer walls of beds will be covered in tiles.

In general the climate here (Ireland) is generally wet as we do get a lot of rain.

What would you recommend to do in this situation?

Comment

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction