SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ballplayer10123

Germinating and Transplanting in 5:1:1 mix

ballplayer10123
14 years ago

Hey Al or JaG,

Thank you for your invaluable advice so far. I have gathered my supplies and planning to mix up the 5:1:1 for some tomatoes I plan to start soon. I have a few more questions.

Is it possible to germinate into the 5:1:1 mix? Should I maybe make a smal mound of peat on top for the seed to germinate, then grow into the 5:1:1 mix? Or are most seed good to go straight into the mix? I have never worked with a soil whose componenents were chunks.

Also, how does transplanting work in this mix? Should I plant on starting seeds into containers I plan on finishing in? If not, does the soil hold the rootball together during transplant, for instance, the same way a mainly peat soil does?

One last question, which is slightly off topic. I have bags of pine mulch. Probably 1/2 of the pieces fit the desired size of a dime. I know I can screen to make sure the pieces are correct size. However, I dont want to just waste the larger pieces. Can you guys think of any tool or method for making the leftover pieces the desired size?

Thank you very much for all your time and help.

BP

Comments (2)