SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

giving the 5:1:1 mix another shot

ymaddox
12 years ago

okay so i was sure that my plants was getting to dry in the 511 mix. so i decided to add 1 to 1.5 parts miracle gro. but what i found with the majority of the plants i went to repot was that the mix was wet at the bottom. Really confused me a1 since you said you water on a three day schedule. I was thinking how in the H E double hockey sticks did i manage to overwater in this mix? I did take the opportunity to inset some pots in one another and maybe this will help pwt, and as well to break down some of the bark into smaller pieces and taking out the big pieces in the ones i replanted, or not to say replanted i actually just kind of mixed the soil up and repotted back . Only ones i added a little miracle gro to was the ones that set on the cabinets as it tends to be very warm in here during winter and they dry out quickly. Accompanied with the fact that i just bought 4 bags of miracle gro at lowes as they was on sale and had planned to amend the soil and figured what the heck, just stock up. So now my plan is to leave the 511 as is and water less. The one thing i will note i am seeing new growth everywhere on some of my plants:)and i have a 100% germination on the 10 adenium seeds i planted. some of the smaller pots i did find was drying out quicker and may need a more frequent water...but most are succulents or cacti and will not hurt probably in between waterings. so back to my weekly watering schedule and lets see how this mix does! I do plan to use the miracle gro in outside pots however and will amend with the 511 mix for those pots to maintain a bit more water for long weekends when we are away.

another note i love the foliage pro and honestly it costs me twenty some bucks but this stuff is going to last forever. good deal for a great fertilizer...i'm sold on that!

one questions for those that use the 511 any suggestions on standing small plants up in this mix? alot of times they tend to want to lean because this is more of a...for a better word "chunky" mix?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider