SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
capoman

Starting seeds to be transplanted into 5-1-1.

capoman
12 years ago

Just looking for advice on the best way to plant seeds with the intention of planting into 5-1-1. Up to now, I have used other peat based seedling soils, waited for the roots to get large enough and then bare root them before putting into the 5-1-1 mix. I'm not a big fan of seedling soils.

I think there must be a better way. Planting directly into 5-1-1 doesn't seem feasible as it is too coarse and small seeds would just fall through. I want to use a medium that will go directly into 5-1-1 with less manipulation. Tapla has mentioned that you should have consistent media throughout the pot, reason to bare root before putting in. I have a few ideas on how to do this without bare rooting, and looking for input from others on how they do it. Here are some methods I have thought about but have not yet tried:

1. Screen 5-1-1 very fine, use it as seedling mix.

2. Germinate in perlite/peat mix and plant directly in 5-1-1

3. Fill a pot with normal 5-1-1 and then put a small square of peat or peat/perlite for the spot you will plant the seed

4. Use normal 5-1-1 but put a small piece of newspaper just under where you plant the seed to keep it from falling through.

Let me know what works for you.

Comments (7)