SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

'Container Victory Gardens'

jll0306
15 years ago

I have friends who always SAY they want to grow their own vegetables, but for some reason or another never get around to it, so I'm gifting them all with Container Victory Gardens for Christmas this year --assuming I can get the seedlings up to a transplanting size by then.

The varieties I've selected are described below. I'd like to fit one Tom, pepper, and cuke--with the a bamboo trellis for them to climb on, and three broccoli plants into one styrofoam ice chest, because they are inexpensive, lightweight, and insulated, which is good on exposed patios and decks. I can wrap them with matchstick blinds or fencing, so I'm not worried about their looks, but I am worried about over crowding the plants.

Is this is a feasible plan or should I just bite the bullet and use two or more separate containers?

Thanks for your expert advice!

j.

TOMATO (Red Robin)

Early-Season Open-pollinated cherry tomato. Determinate, stocky, 1- to 2-foot plants are good for containers and bear round red fruit. Very sweet and very hardy plant. Comes back true to type each year from seed taken from ripe fruit. Has the ability to set fruit under fairly low-light conditions, making it a good choice for indoor growing. Also great for tucking into mixed containers. Days To Maturity: 55-68\

Recommended container size: 6" to 10" pots.

PEPPER Sweet Pickle

A true miniature pepper. The little peppers, in shades of red, orange, yellow, and purple (simultaneously), make this a very ornamental little plant. Unlike most ornamentals, these peppers are sweet. Good for growing indoors in winter, using natural sunshine plus supplemental fluorescent light. Very good for mixed containers - adds a real color "zing". Will have peppers approximately 75 days after transplanting outdoors, a little longer indoors.

Recommended container size: 6"-10" pots.

CUCUMBER Cool Breeze*

These 5' vines produce numerous 4-5" Fench Cornichon type cukes that are great for making sweet pickles or slicing fresh into salads. This is a all female variety, and will set fruit without pollination. So would be good not only for small gardens but also in a greenhouse or in a brightly lit window. Days To Maturity: 45-49

Recommended Container Size: 1 to 2 plants in a 5 gallon container

BROCCOLI Small Miracle*

Hybrid. 6- to 7-inch, dome-shaped, tight heads on 1- to 1 1/2-foot plants with abundant side shoots. Can be placed as close as 8" apart. Vendor says he/she has grown three plants in a 14" diameter container.

Comments (2)