SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_cl

Repot: what's wrong with pots 'too big'?

daniel_cl
13 years ago

Hi,

I am a newbie, so most of my reasonings are purely theoretical. Please feel free to correct me with your experiences and better theories.

Frequently I read online that when moving plants to a larger container, one should use a pot that is only 1"-2" larger than the original. Reasons: as large pots holds too much extra water and promotes root rot. Another reason is that plants in a large pot spends most of its energy making roots.

I don't the reasonings makes sense:

(1) Containers have drainage holes at the bottom. Extra water drains away.

(2) Deep soil promotes drainage. The water table is maintained by capillary action, which cannot raise the water table to flood the roots sitting on high soil. So plants in a larger pot actually have drier roots. (The same reasoning applies to the finding that putting pot shards at the bottom of the pot reduces soil depth and worsens drainage).

(3) People can use pots made of porous material, even the fabric "air-prune" pot-bag. There are also the water globes that automatically water. So there won't be too extra moisture sitting in the pot.

(4) Plants in the nature sits in a "boundless pot". Their roots can stretch out twice of their height. Large pots = more root volume = more nutrient and water = happy plant.

(5) Every repotting results in root damage. Why damage plants more than necessary?

The only drawback I can think of is the extra potting soil investment and people with extremely tight space. Any arguments favoring smaller pots? Thanks.

Comments (16)