SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Too big of a pot jump?

MrBlubs
7 years ago

I'm trying to figure out my repotting schedule come spring and who's taking who's pot and vice versa.

But Im wondering if I should upgrade some of my plants to an 8" pot.

The first plant in question is my TC which was just planted in its pot in January of 2016. It's in a 'wall' pot, so it's basically half a pot. The opening is about 4" in diameter but the pot also bubbles out a bit so I'm not sure on the exact volume, but I feel like it's either the same volume as half a 6" pot or a bit more. This is what it looks like:

As you can see, I over stuffed it into the pot. And on top of that it's not in the best soil. Which is why I want to repot it into something better. That can allow me to actually see the soil and give the plants a chance to 'breathe'. So I was thinking about going the 8" clay root, but the pot looked huge when I went to buy one, so I didn't. Do you think that is too big of a jump? I also plan to add another TC I bought in November which is in a 4 inch pot. If I can remember correctly there are 4 or so individual plants squished in there (the wall pot)

My other plant I was thinking of upgrading to an 8" pot is my COT. I also just repotted it last year in February into a 6" clay pot, but again I repotted it into some bad soil that has compacted quite alot. This was before I started potting with the 50/50 mix. I was just going to repot it back into its original pot again with the 50/50 mix, but I figured I could put it into an 8" as well. I also thought I could try and see if I could find another COT of a different color and plant it in with it. Though, COT's are rather 'rare' here so I don't know if that's going to happen or if I should do that. I've seen them a couple times at Rona, but it's a hit or miss. So I figured if I find one in my travels I'd buy it and combine the two, and if I don't just repot the other one.

Would that be too much of a jump aswell? I know I couldn't add another COT if I kept it in its original pot (6"), but could I put the original COT into an 8" pot by itself?

Here's the COT for reference if that helps decide on anything. (There are 4 individual plants)

I guess, it also depends on if a 8" pot would fit in my windowsill....

Comments (7)