SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyjean_gw

Would a 'native' shrub work in my rather manicured garden?

amyjean
16 years ago

I have inherited an acre with an 1850's georgian cottage set into the middle of what was at one time an apparently fairly well thought out and somewhat manicured perennial garden. Although not huge, the georgian style of the house and two enormous trees next to it, as well as what is left of the original garden design give it a rather stately look (there are well designed beds with beautiful roses, peonies, etc, and quite a bit of well groomed lawn.) Here is my question: I wish to incorporate some native shrubs and trees for their ability both to support native wildlife, as well as to maintain a certain "sense of place", which is, essentially, northeastern US. As well, I am hoping to incorporate much more fall color into the scheme, as this is my favourite season. One of the shrubs I am considering is a spicebush, (lindera benzoin.) Does anyone have any thoughts on how this particular shrub would work in keeping the somewhat formal and stately look of the house and garden. Also, I'd be interested in any general comments about the concept of incorporating natives into such a scheme. Thank you in advance, Amy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz