SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

from flat lawn to native shrub garden

paulns
16 years ago

Hi all,

The small local museum has hired my wife and myself to, among other things, turn a flat stretch of lawn about 60' long by 10-15' wide, on the side of the museum, into a native shrub garden. We're not professional landscapers but were hired on the strength of work we've done over the years on our own property. We have two strong teenagers helping us out.

A lot of challenges are presenting themselves and I was hoping you all might have some opinions and or advice.

One challenge is to make the area more interesting by creating contours. Another is killing all the lawn - and what do we replace it with? It seemed we could kill two birds with one stone by taking the thick circles of sod from digging holes for the shrubs, and the rectangles of sod from digging a 14" curved border (which we will line on the outer side with sunken plastic lawn edging, and then fill with sods of woodland groundcover alternating with newspaper/woodchip mulch) and arranging these sods, flipped over, to make gentle hills among the shrubs (no hill higher than two sods or about 1'). Then we would take nice rocks and boulders from the nearby woods, or that the boys dug up when making other holes, and arrange them amongst the hills.

There aren't enough sods to smother all the grass, and digging up every last piece of lawn would be a lot of work, so how to kill all the grass?

What to cover all those rolling hills of dirt with?

Would the newly transplanted shrubs have trouble growing roots into this changing topography?

I'm attached to the idea of doing the garden this way, but get stuck when I try to visualize the next steps.

Comments (8)