SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darwingardener

Issues re gardening with natives

darwingardener
16 years ago

Hopefully my question is appropriately on topic for "technical and aesthetic issues involved in landscape and garden design" but I can't recall past discussions or get the search to work right now.

Last fall we had to have one of the few trees on our narrow hillside lot cut down, a chokecherry tree much beloved by birds but a true maintenance headache (trimming, suckers, seedlings) that finally succumbed to black knot disease. I'd like to replace it with another small tree that provides cover and food for birds but without the maintenance headaches.

I also want to further reduce our lawn by adding a shrub bed in an area that is difficult to mow, and to replace *part* of a large bed of perennials/ornamental grasses with more shrubs (both to reduce the need for dividing and to provide better habitat). The plan was to include more native plants that provide food and cover for birds, squirrels, the resident rabbit and the neighborhood pheasants that visit from time to time.

Research led me to read "Noah's Garden, Restoring the Ecology of our own Back Yards" and "My Weeds" by Sara Stein. The reading stack includes books on native plants by Gary Hightshoe and William Cullina, as well as more regional works for northern gardens in search of appropriate plant choices.

But I just had a smack-on-the-back-of-the-head moment. What is planted in our yard now is cold weather hardy, drought tolerant, non-invasive or aggressive and survives without fertilizers or chemical sprays. The native plant choices all seem to sucker and seed (how else would they propagate themselves, duh) and aren't compatible with the space available or the need for an older gardener to reduce her workload.

I note the ASLA has joined with other groups to promote The Sustainable Sites Initiative (which seems more oriented to clean air & water than Stein's focus on the specific needs of the native flora and fauna).

If you are a professional in garden design, how do you handle ecological issues? Do your clients care?

If you are an avid gardener, how have you handled the desire to have a garden that's more suited to your local ecology and 'alive' with critters, if you have limited space for suckering and limited energy to dig out seedlings?

Comments (10)