SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduro_gw

Help planting my new native garden

enduro
18 years ago

I just visited the Kings Park Wildflower Exhibition and bought up a bunch of plants suitable for my small native garden that I have been establishing.

Sept 04 I planted Red Kangaroo Paws (A. manglesii) and Banksia Blechniflora. the KP's have taken off really well (4 plants are now about 40!) in the bear sand soil base with full direct sunlight all day. The Banksia sp. have started off properly now - sprouting new leaves, though are really still only 14 leafed seedlings.

Some Shade is offered by some Tea Trees of unknown variety - I also don't think they are WA Native.

I need information on planing the following species that I purchased today. I feel I took a reasonable selection and did some homework investigating the varieties that would most suit the garden orientation and soil type I shall plant them in.

Species:

Banksia Repens

Conostylis Candicans

Orsanthus Muelleri (very rare endangered)

Macropidia Fuliginosa

Sowerbaea Multicaulis

Hemiandra Pungen (mauve)

Lechenaultia Biloba

When planting the Banksia Blechniflora and A. Manglesii I recall basing the hole with unmodified sheep poo and karri/peat mix which they seem to have enjoyed and kept the roots moist in summer as the soil base is pretty much sand here.

The information I think I need is:

Near concrete/paving - will this be an issue for heat?

Is there a different option than Sheep poo and Karri Bark & Peat mixture to base the planting hole?

Tell me about your successes/failures concerning these plants.

Tips for placement of the Lechenaultia Biloba and other species.

Thanks for your assitance.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions