SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylor_white34

New Gardener and Need Help Rehabilitating my Spider Plant

Taylor White
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have had this plant for close to three years, and really neglected it for the first two. I'v never had a green thumb, but this guy managed to stay alive all this time, so this last year I started researching plant care and have worked hard to try and take better care of it.

I used to just trim off the dead and dying leaves, and it just continued to grow upwards. But now it has a strange looking "trunk."

I also noticed a few weeks ago that the roots were starting to grow out of the bottom of the planter, so I recently re-potted it into this larger pot to give it more room to grow. the roots were huge, and all gnarly and wrapped up at the bottom of the pot, and had a kind of redish tint to them instead of white. I thought maybe it was some kind of root rot or something but the plant seems to be doing just fine, and I didn't know at the time about pruning or shaving down spider plant roots, so I just tried to loosen some of the roots, and re-potted it.

It seems to be much happier in this well but indirectly lit corner of my room, and is growing new leaves out of the top of the plant, but not out of the stalk.

I'm new to gardening, and caring for indoor plants, so I'm wondering if I should take it back out of this pot to shave down the roots a little bit, or even if it would be possible to chop the top of the plant off and dip it in rooting powder to try and re-propagate it to get it to grow normally? Or if it is better to just leave it as is and accept that it's kinda funny looking.

I know it seems silly because spider plants are so easy to care for and easy to find, so I could just easily go buy a new one...but this is the very first plant I purchased when I moved into my own apartment, and because it has lived with me in every place I've lived in since, it's special to me.

Any advice on how to revitalize it and encourage more "normal" spider plant growth? Or is it just kind of a gonner at this point? Thank you!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions