SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Courtyard design/fountain help needed, please

three3apples
9 years ago

This area is behind the small patio of our walkout basement in our backyard. The walled area is 22' x 27' and we are going to put in a parterre garden with boxwood hedges creating the frames of each quadrant. The center paths will be 4' wide and I want a 1' wide space between the walls and the boxwood. Anyway, I outlined one quadrant and two options for center fountain sizes in orange paint. The smallest circle is a 5' diameter and the largest is 8'. This house is a Georgian Revival, so I only want a fountain that fits with that style. Once the ground is raised to grade in this courtyard the walls will be 4' tall. I probably don't want the fountain to be taller than the wall. The area that is closest to the house does not have a tall wall, the the walls are on three sides only. Anyway, I would love advice about the style of a fountain (several tier or only a "pool" with a spout in the center, which is what I'm leaning toward) and whether we should do regular boxwood or dwarf for the edges of the quadrants. My husband thinks regular will be too tall because too much of the walls will be obscured, but we don't know much about shrubs or hedges yet as this is our first house with a yard and this is our first project. Advice welcome :)

Comments (24)