SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnblinker

Principles of Garden Design

15 years ago

Please can members help me assemble a list. According to the Gardenvisit.com eBook I just got (its called The Principles of Garden Design) the 3 principles come from a Roman author called Vitruvius Pollio. They are:

(1) Gardens should be beautiful

(2) Gardens should be useful

(3) Gadens should be well made

The first and third points are pretty obvious but the 'uses' of a garden, apart from growing plants, are not so easy. Would the uses include BBQs, ball games, sunbathing, swimming. We do these in gardens but they don't quite seem the main point. It would be fun to have a list of all the things gardens are used for.

Comments (24)

• 15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think what you have there is a somewhat loose interpretation john. Firstly these are not principles according to Vitruvius but rather a maxim (a simple and memorable rule)and they are in the reverse order to the way they are usually expressed i.e. firmness, commodity, delight. What he means is that good design seeks the equilibrium between durability, convenience and delight. So you are right neither one of these is "the main point" the ideal is a balance between all three.

• 15 years ago

Welcome, John, to this forum and to GardenWeb.

Warning: Some of the following is a touch on the tongue-in- cheek side.

Wellspring's 10 Uses of a Garden

Mosquito Feeding -- The garden, perhaps an idea implanted in my mind by the collective consciousness of billions and billions of biting insects, entices me outside where I provide a feast.

Anger Management -- Provides space exterior to the house where one cannot yell as loudly as one does inside the house.

Comic Relief -- Space used by plants to develop various comic performances, like growing up straight and beautiful and flopping full length on the ground while in bloom, or perfecting the very humourous limp-and-wilt routine, or going "Na-na-na-na-Nah" when someone extracts you from the ground because they've heard you are invasive and then popping up randomly for years all over the garden.

Military Zone -- Used both for weapons development and war games. Male child and friends blow up firecrackers, blow up Legos with firecrackers, blow up anthills with firecrackers, attempt to flame aerosal can but caught by the enemy (Mom), attempt to develop a flame thrower

Water Ballet -- Often scheduled conveniently while sections of garden are in flames. Could be confused with a no-holds-barred free-for-all. Garden provides wonderful space where all participants can be soaked to the skin.

No-call Zone -- Only works if you keep an absolute rule not to put cell phone in pocket. No exterior phone line. The garden provides its own soundscape rich with buzzing bees, chirps, barks, wind chimes, children laughing in the neighbor's yard, and beneath it all a deep Stillness. Interior spaces never have this quality of sound.

Time Warp -- Common experience among those I've asked. You go outside "just for a minute". You notice some weeds and pull them. On the way to drop them in the compost, you note something that needs dead-heading. You do that for a while, and then decide you want to check if the new daylily is bloomingÂSomehow, time has stopped. You are functioning differently. Like a bee who seems to be aimless in choosing this flower over that one to wriggle into, then buzzes over to the next, and so on. Stress falls away. You are just "being". Or would that be "beeing"?

Aroma Therapy -- I use my garden for a game of anticipation. When will the next plant begin blooming whose perfume I love? I've found I can add to this game using texture and large blooming specimens. Because I can't see, small flowers (unless fragrant) are not as pleasurable for me. That's a somewhat new discovery. What moves me around in my garden is its unfolding story.

Learning Curve -- I love to learn. Since I came to gardening relatively late in life, I deeply enjoy trying to gain knowledge about plants and garden design and trying to put that knowledge to work. Work? No, it's really more an activity of creative play. My garden is an endlessly developing adult play ground.

Gardening -- My No. 1 use for a garden is: To garden. Last night I finished up an afternoon putting in a small section of mulch pathway. How well did I execute it? Don't askÂbut I enjoyed it immensely and went to bed satisfied.

• Related Discussions

Principles of landscape design for ranch style homes

Q

Comments (34)
    I don't see how one could write a book on landscaping the ranch-style home without having some photos of such homes in the book, any more than one could re: Craftsman, Victorian, and so forth. By training and nature, I operate under the principle of "never assume anything," and so I have not yet assumed that the OP even HAS a ranch style home as I understand them. I've seen any number of somewhat modest and likely one-story homes called a "ranch" (or "rancher") even though that home may have a number of features related to its actual height and width proportions, roof line, embellishments, ceiling heights, porticos, verticality and so forth that to me makes it, well, something else, at least in terms of whether any generic ranch-landscape principles could apply. So one can have a generic discussion, but fundamentally each individual offered "visual" of a landscape is based on an associated underlying, assumed, envisioned, particular house.
    ...See More

Poll 'Most invasive plant in your garden'

Q

Comments (152)
    Creeping Charlie or Ground Ivy as we call it, has taken over the back corner of the yard, but it's keeping all the other weeds down and it does smell good when it's cut. But as for all time invasive, there are two plants that I didn't put in but are a nuisance. The wild Rose of Sharon that spreads everywhere and I spend hours every year pulling it out of the 50 yr old peonies and rose bush. There must be thousands of seedlings in the grass. Its my neighbors plant and "she likes it." I call it the the Rose of Sharon from Hell. Then there's a second plant that grows to like 7 feet tall that looks like bamboo with trailers underground. They're impossible to pull out and break at the sections. I have yet to discover what they are.
    ...See More

Need sugestions: Principle wants to do a LARGE Butterfly garden

Q

Comments (18)
    Hats off to you, Ladybarber! I'll just confirm the previous posts: START SMALL. Our school developed an extremely large habitat for wildlife, complete with native plants for butterflies and birds. While it's worth every smile on a child's face, it's a huge time commitment to keep more aggressive plants from running amok, weeding, watering, etc. I will second that you'll be surprised at the grants and donations that are available. I donated several native plants from my garden, including all the milkweed, so you may want to tap into the parents. You may also want to see if any scout troops are willing to take on the garden for a service project. Our school even ventured into seed starting. I still help with our habitat, even though my kids are now in highschool. One teacher takes the kids into the garden to help. Wow! That's a lot of energy. While some plants may get smashed or mistakenly pulled to see their excitement and interest is well worth the effort. Three last things. 1. Our teacher created an observation book so that visitors or children can write about their visit and what they saw. There are some priceless notes about worms. 2. We sold stone paver kits to raise money. The kids/family could then make the stone with their own decorations to be used for a memory path in the school garden. 3. Our school also built a shed to house all of the tools, etc. with a combination lock. Good luck! Cathy in SWPA
    ...See More

Crazy or True Design Principle-Door Locations in Bathrooms

Q

Comments (3)
    "no bathroom door is located past the first doorway of a bedroom in a hallway". An easier way to say it: When walking down the hall, you should reach the bathroom before the bedrooms. I've never heard of this "rule", but -- as I think about it -- every house I've lived in as an adult has fit this rule. In contrast, the bathroom in my childhood home was at the faaaaar end of the house /past all the bedrooms. I kinda see the point: - Bathrooms are open to guests, whereas bedrooms are more private. - Placing the bathroom closer to the main living areas would place it closer to the kitchen. This keeps your plumbing fixtures closer together, which is a positive. Overall, I don't think this is a hard-and-fast rule. Do what works for your layout.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Thank you John, Ink and Wellspring, what a great start to my day to read this thread. Wellspring, I can quite agree with your 10 uses (Time Warp is my favorite!), and I'll add two more in the same spirit.

Experimental Laboratory -- The garden is a place to try new plants, new methods, new arrangements. This plant is from New Caledonia, will it grow here? This other plant is from a volcanic island in the middle of the Pacific ocean, will it grow better if I surround the roots with volcanic rock mixed into the soil? Will it be warmer if I put the black volcanic rock on the surface? How much water is enough in time of drought? A shrub is attacked by insects; I consider chemical warfare, but birds arrive to devour the insects. Will they eat enough so the shrub is spared? The execution and outcome of the experiments provides me with endless entertainment.

Art Studio -- The garden serves as a three-dimensional multi-sensory canvas, and the artwork is never, ever finished.

• 15 years ago

Charlotte you forgot to mention your version of the Scottish sword dance: that is tripping over the garden hose and trying to make it look natural. I remember that story, elaborated on here by me.

• 15 years ago

Oh, wellspring, well done!

Not to detract from this wonderfully lyrical discussion, but I have been reading past posts and came across one in which this is thoroughly hashed out--from the principle/elements side, not so much the "use" side. Perhaps the OP would like to see how this question was handled in the past.

• 15 years ago

To johnblinker, the original poster, re the uses of gardens: He asks, "Would the uses include BBQs, ball games, sunbathing, swimming." The answer: a resounding yes! If these activities are things you would like to do in your garden space(s), then those uses should be designed in.

• 15 years ago

We've had some discussions in the past about how to approach a design project, and often the first question asked is, "what is the purpose of the garden?". Is it for growing food? Something beautiful to look at? Is it meant to add privacy to your outdoor space? Or to screen out an ugly view offsite? Do you need a place for your children to play? Pets to do their thing safely? Are you a hobby gardener, looking for a design that includes a place to putter and plant? Do you want a cutting garden to supply flowers for the house? An area to cook, entertain, relax? Play volleyball or bocce or horseshoes? If it's in the front yard, does it need to clearly show visitors where the entrance is? Where they should park their cars? Does it provide a safe and convenient path to the door?

These are all "uses". Every family has different needs and wants, and good design should address those needs as much as possible within the constraints of space, budget, and ongoing maintenance requirements.

• 15 years ago

Before delving too far into this topic and trying to answer "What are the principles?" I think we may all benefit from trying to understand "What are principles?" As in calculus or discrete, half of the solution to any problem is understanding the problem itself.

From Wikipedia:

"A principle is an abstract object which signifies a point (or points) of probability on a subject (e.g., the principle of creativity), which allows for the formation of rule or norm or law by (human) interpretation of the phenomena (events) that can be created. The rules, norms and laws depend on and co-create a particular context to formulate. A principle is the underlying part (or spirit) of the basis for an evolutionary normative or formative development, which is the object of subjective experience and/or interpretation. For example, the ethics of someone may be seen as a set of principles that the individual obeys in the form of rules, as guidance or law. These principles thus form the basis for such ethics.

"Reducing a rule to its principle says that, for the purpose at hand, the principle will not / cannot be questioned or further derived (unless you create new rules). This is a convenient way of reducing the complexity of an argumentation.

"The point of principle allows to create all probable versions under its subjective theme, as its reality creation/evolvement under that subject is open-ended and unpredictable relying on choice and option. Rules and laws capture a consensus that certain actions and events will occur under a principle (or a combination of principles)."

The most important points in the above explanation that stood out to me are that principles:

- are abstract
    - cannot be derived further
    - are applicable in all situations, although the application differs according to the specific situation.

A handy tool is, "So what?" What is the higher purpose of so-called "rules?" What causes us to lean towards certain practices? Why are certain things more appealing than others?

- Audric

• 15 years ago

The uses of a landscape (i.e., the land surrounding your house) may be different from the use of a garden--depends on how broadly or narrowly you define "garden."

My front yard will be used to
    1) create a nice impression for the street.
    2) provide a nice view for someone sitting inside and at the front of the house on the landing looking out, especially in winter.
    3) provide some privacy and seclusion without presenting a completely "closed off" and "shut-in" look.

As for the back yard:
    Barbequing, eating, entertaining the dog, the children, eating, reading, storing bicycles, the garbage cans and compost bin, and most important, just simply providing a place to enjoy the outside.

What is a garden?

• 15 years ago

Today's entymology lesson into words, their history and origins. The word garden originates from the old German term "gart" which means enclosure.'

Wonder if we (the generic "we" who have a spot somewhere that might be enhanced by something) simply regard A Garden as a particular happenstance within our wider landscapes. I must because my landscape, as I've come to know it, is there and I feel little inclined to alter it greatly unless a circumstance would force me to do so. But, of course, since I garden within my landscape I've created enclosures within the enclosure.

Not going to sort this out well, but this AM I went down to our lakeside rose garden to see what will likely be the last week of blooms in the new peony beds. It struck me going in, I could survey much of the entire vista of the park without separating it out into its individual components. The enclosure of the park boundaries gives way to individual gardens which are again enclosed by grass or hardscape. Inside, although you still have the panoramic views of the lake and the gardens stretched out ahead, the long view almost disappears for what's immediately in front of you.

Whatever shapes, it all becomes a series of nesting boxes. Landscape broken out into hardscapes and lawn broken out into beds broken out into planting vignettes broken out into... Many times, despite skill levels, it can all come together and achieve a degree of equilibrium between durability, convenience and delight. And if not, the saving grace with gardening/landscaping is that it is truly a moveable feast.

• 15 years ago

I think I can help. Note that JohnBlinker is from the UK where 'garden' is reckoned to be that area immediately around a house and 'landscape' a less personal area beyond that. When John says 'garden' he means what an American would refer to as a 'yard'.

I don't think that Vitruvius had too much to say about gardens (Johns sense) mainly because they didn't exist as such at that time and his thoughts were more connected with architecture and how building fit into the landscape (also Johns sense). But when he talks about "durability, convenience and delight" he could be talking about any built object i.e. make sure that it is made to fit its purpose made from an appropriate material and looks good (my interpretation) which is beyond argument. The most difficult part of the equation and the point of John's question seems to be what is a garden (Johns sense) for? Someone will trot out 'form follows function' before long but if you cannot decide on the function or you have a long list of conflicting functions what then?

• 15 years ago

Scraplolly hit the nail on the head. I would add one point, curved/rounded beds ease the starkness of the sharp angles of the house, property lines and driveways/sidewalks. Mother nature has no straight lines. Go with the flow!!!

• 15 years ago

Thank Petzold6596. I've also read that a garden is a place which provides movement for people within it. (Other wise, what would it be? A planted stage set?). In other words--definitely a place to go with the flow.

• 15 years ago

Excuse me, but I think curves are over-extolled. : ) Curves are useful for certain types of gardens, true dat. But a straight line is a fine contrast to a curve. Straight lines can completely changed the feel of a garden, and in certain types of gardens, may be preferred. And the oft-repeated "there are no straight lines in nature" is false; light travels in straight lines. I like curves as much as anyone, but they are not a principle, or a rule, of gardening. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...

• 15 years ago

Over the weekend I:
    --Observed an area, formerly part of my "gravel wasteland," that I have planted up a bit and arranged with some furniture and garden items, and found it restful and pleasing--not perfect, but good.
    --Harvested several eggplants, cucumbers, a few cherry tomatoes and a great quantity of basil and used those in the making of an excellent supper.
    --Made several pitchers of mint tea with mint that grows in a container in the garden.
    --Though I have only a few such vegetable and herb plants, just having that bit to harvest was quite satisfying. Made a mental note of that.
    --Discovered that my purple coneflowers, "Becky" daisies, and a type of Heuchera with deep-purple-stemmed flowers in the characterisitic long spiky shape were all in bloom at once in fair quantities and could be combined, along with various ferns, to make not-so-shabby looking flower arrangements; so far I have taken one as a hostess gift at a party and one to a church friend dealing with metastatic breast cancer. I made a note of this and collected a few more thrift shop vases in just the right size and shape and have more bouquet deliveries planned.
    --noticed the first hummingbird of the season, put out my feeder, and had a red-headed woodpecker promptly visit it.I've never seen that before.
    --Read fiction as well as professional materials while sitting outside with my mint tea and watching birds.
    --Pulled a bunch of weeds and felt satisfied to have it done, but made a note of how I would like to pull fewer weeds, as well as not haul too much mulch, and spend more time on the above things, and began to think how I would re-arrange a few things to accomplish that--a fall project.
    --walked by a clump of four-o'clocks given me by a friend who's since moved away last year, and noticed their fragrance before I actually saw the blooms.

A garden in use.

• 15 years ago

Thank you Wellspring! What an enjoyable read. I'd like to add one more in that line, which seems to be the primary use for my "gardens":

Dog Park - a game of tug-of-war through the lilies, a romp in the sprinkler followed by a roll in the sole area not covered by mulch (prepared in that way by dog), chasing of squirrels into and through the shrubberies, a nap under the spruce trees, a roll in the grass, jumping practice over the roses, a belly rub from a human on the patio.

• 15 years ago

Thank you all, both for the jokes and for the serious points (Scottish gardeners spend even more time feeding midges than feeding mosquitoes!).

I agree that to be a garden the space has to be enclosed and also that there are lots of different garden types - sacred gardens, vegetable gardens, pleasure gardens etc. The Romans had all these types of garden and Vitruvius must have known about them. According to the eBook on the Principles of Garden design he supported the idea (Genius Loci) that every garden design should be adapted to the place in which it made. Mobile phones, and perhaps the office buildings in which they are used, can be the same everywhere. But a key principle in garden design is that they are better when they are localized than when they are globalized. Its nice to pick up on local views, to have shelter in windy countries, to use local building materials and to use local plants. Its not nice to buy mass produced plants and slabs in garden centers. Does anyone disagree?

• 15 years ago

Bravo Catkim! (re straight lines...) I too think straight lines get unwarrented bad press! :-)

• 15 years ago

Last time I checked, my garden is full of straight lines (grass blades, leaf midribs, edges of rocks, insect legs, etc. etc.)

K4

• 15 years ago

And tree trunks!

(putting tongue firmly in cheek).

• 15 years ago

..and now I am wondering if John was just here to promote the book... "there are lots of different garden types - sacred gardens, vegetable gardens, pleasure gardens etc. The Romans had all these types of garden and Vitruvius must have known about them." is quite different from claiming that he (in the 1st century said:
    "(1) Gardens should be beautiful
    (2) Gardens should be useful
    (3) Gardens should be well made"
    One statement suggests that he was a commentater and the other that he was an instigator.

• 15 years ago

Yes. I think you're right. Note he plugged the book twice--and he's dissappeared.

Oh well, it was worth it for the responses!

• 15 years ago

An observation.

I noticed some lists of "uses of a garden". Many do not really seem to be actual uses of the garden (American definition of garden, not English). They are nearby activities which have desired experiences that are enhanced or mitigated by the garden. You don't use a garden to barbecue or to read, but you can certainly have a better experience while doing either as a result of a garden which is designed to do so.