SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veganruthie_gw

New old house with funky and frightful front yard.

veganruthie
14 years ago

My husband and I purchased our first home in February, yay! It's really a fixer-upper and we've been ripping out carpet, repainting woodwork, leveling the pier and beam foundation and I put in a veggie garden, but I'm itching to get some input from y'all about how to handle the front yard. It's frightful.

Unfortunately I don't have any updated pictures since we moved in, but this was from the mls listing. The potted plants and most of the wondering jew is gone. I've been pulling it out mostly. And that crazy edging that looks like cement juice cans is gone, mostly, too. So is all the lawn art. I did find a cement horse head under the suckers of the red hibiscus. The spindly crepe myrtle on the left of the sidewalk I cut down because it got covered with white mildew, but it's willing to come back if I want it to. There was also a small, tropical looking tree to the left that didn't show up in this picture. I tried to cut it down because I was sick of all that white paint and I eventually want to plant a peach tree there, but it is coming back with abandon.

Obviously the trees are white, which we may just have to let grow out because we tried pressure spraying the pecan tree and it took forever just to get a little section off, and may have hurt the bark.

I personally think there are way too many trees and I would prefer a lot more sun and flowers, but trying to convince my husband it's okay to cut down a tree is like trying to convince him to kill a child. There are two bald cyprus along the street, a live oak on the fence line to the left with a red hibiscus behind it, and a pecan on the right. And some funky bush/shrub/mini tree thing that we tried to cut down.

I love our little house and our front porch (I'm sitting on it now) and am so happy to have a place to dig in the dirt, but I don't know the first thing about landscape design. I was hoping I could get some insight!

I was thinking remove the chain-link fence serving only to make it difficult to mow in front of the house and put in a row of shrubs under the windows, then put two small beds lining the path to the sidewalk filled with flowers. The ones closest to the house would get the most sun.

I would rather mulch than mow, so any advice is great! Thanks!

{{gwi:38331}}

Comments (26)