SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kigmy

Plants that look good with plumbago?

kigmy
15 years ago

Hi, I am attempting to design a garden in one corner of my back yard. It's about 20 feet long on one side, and 12 feet long on the other side, and more or less forms an "L" with a curved line on the inside of the "L" shape. (I hope that made sense.) The area gets full, hot sun all afternoon. I'm in USDA zone 9.

So far, I have 11 "Royal Cape" plumbago plants spaced 3 feet apart, along the back. There is a "Tuskeegee" (bright pink) crape myrtle (or crepe myrtle, depending on your preference) in front of the plumbago on the one end. I also bought about half a dozen bright pink pentas for this area.

I'd like to stick with the pink/blue theme. The crape myrtle was an impulse buy and now I am trying to design my garden around it. But I'm having a hard time coming up with blue (not purple) flowering plants that won't disappear against the plumbago. I was leaning toward "lily of the nile" because the leaves have such a different texture compared to the plumbago. Also I was looking at "blue daze" as a ground cover along the front of the bed.

Will this work? Or will it look stupid? Does anyone have any plant suggestions? I'm really struggling with the "form and texture" part of this landscape design thing.

Comments (12)