SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
star_stuff

* Post Your 2010 Vegetable Gardening Pictures, Part 1 *

star_stuff
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I thought we needed a place to share all of our Vegetable Gardening Pictures for the 2010 season! What do you think? There is a similar on-going thread by Catman on the tomato forum, which has proven very popular this year and the last.

So maybe we could start a comparable thread here on the Vegetable Forum, featuring all stages and types of vegetable gardening, from seed to harvest. Once a decent number of posts accumulate, we could start Part 2, 3, etc.

We may just have a wonderful collection of photos by the end of the year! Please come back often to post update pictures, and please include your zone or location for reference. (Maybe we could keep the pictures at 1000 pixels or less, for those with slower speeds.?) Cheers to a successful 2010!

Below are CatmanÂs helpful instructions for posting photos: For those who don't know how to post a photo \- First, upload your picture to a sever such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. Copy the URL to your image (should start with http://). The URL should end in ".jpg" or another similar image extension \- do not copy the URL from your address bar. That will just copy the link of the web page that contains your image. Right\-click on the image to get the address of the image. Then post the code in the body of your reply message.

Happy gardening, veggie friends! :-)

To start, here are some pictures of my container garden, before the storms rolled in...I hope everyone in staying safe in this violent weather...

French Breakfast Radishes & Mokum Carrots, from seed:

{{gwi:44322}}

California Wonder Peppers, with Lily in foreground, the world's most talkative cat LOL:

{{gwi:44323}}

{{gwi:44324}}

Jalapeno peppers, will be moved to a larger pot:

{{gwi:44325}}

Poblano (Ancho) Peppers, and Mint rooted from the grocery store:

{{gwi:44326}}

Husky Red Tomato:

{{gwi:44327}}

{{gwi:44328}}

Big Beef Tomato:

{{gwi:44329}}

{{gwi:44330}}

Comments (43)

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are a few more:

Spacemaster Cucumber:
    {{gwi:44331}}

Malabar Spinach, I think?:
    {{gwi:44332}}

Sungold Tomato, and Sungold flower:
    {{gwi:44333}}

{{gwi:44334}}

Black Krim Tomato:
    {{gwi:44335}}

Black Tomato, and feet of a curious cat LOL:
    {{gwi:44336}}

Stupice Tomato, and Sweet Million Tomato (both have a touch of cold damage):
    {{gwi:44338}}

Tumbling Tom Tomatoes:
    {{gwi:44340}}

Lettuce that has been languishing for a month...no success again, argh:
    {{gwi:44342}}

Bunching Onions:
    {{gwi:44344}}

Thanks for viewing my way too many pictures LOL!

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Star

Very nice pictures!

Here are some of mine.

{{gwi:44346}}

{{gwi:44349}}

This is for Mauirose an update on the tomatoes, front side

{{gwi:44351}}

Back view

{{gwi:44353}}

Silvia

• Related Discussions

What is Blooming in Your Garden - July 2011 - Part 1

Q

Comments (28)
    Thanks, DtD. The hosta and yucca are in the same view area and are seen together. I never really noticed it before since the yucca hadn't bloomed; it was just a nice foliage accent. I've been waiting for both of them to bloom the last few weeks when I first saw the yucca stalk. I'll see if I can get a decent photo of them together tomorrow. Opportunistic indeed, but the phlox gives a pretty show with absolutely no effort on my part. Until I have to deadhead them all which is a royal pain, but if I do, the bloom just keeps going and the hummingbirds are ecstatic. Last year I decided to expand the phlox paniculata collection to take over after the phlox maculata show. It was a nice idea but the new woodchuck is chomping on all the paniculatas. It was never a problem before, but the dog from up the street who used to make rounds every day with his pal is no longer in action, so the woodchuck is getting bolder. Claire
    ...See More

Post Your 2011 Tomato Pictures, Part 1

Q

Comments (44)
    I started most of my seeds Jan. 4. I transplanted this year on 2/24, two weeks earlier than last year. It's been pretty mild with only one light frost and a lot of 80's/60's days the last week or so. My first fruit is on my first container plant, which I thought was a Bloody Butcher, but since Bloody Butcher is a potato leaf variety, this is a mystery plant. The seeds were given to me so I won't complain and the plant is setting fruit nicely too. Most of my in-ground plants are putting out their first blooms. I'm growing 30 plants(many colors and sizes) this year, 6 of which are at a church garden. I live in the DFW area. Happy growing, Pete
    ...See More

Post your 2010 Tomato Pictures, Part 1

Q

Comments (40)
    Could someone tell me how to resize photos in PhotoBucket? The large pics are great for detail, but they don't need to be as large as these. Some of mine waiting on warmer weather. Aiming for early April plant-out: A squash plant, a pepper plant, oregano, and five little dinky tomato babies, including the brandywine I was rooting for. SunGold F1s, SunGold Select II, and a couple of Earl's Faux. Opalka, Cowlick's Brandywine, & Earl's Faux.
    ...See More

Post Your 2010 Tomato Pictures, Part 4

Q

Comments (61)
    Rosarama, im in no way taking credit for this growing medium, I learned about it on this forum. Its strickly for containers for what I know about it. The man that came up with it to my knowledge is Al Tapla. 5 parts pine bark, ground up cut up or whatever is done to it till its the average size of a dime. 1 part coarse perlite 1 part peat 2 cups dolimite, 1 cup of pro max minors, 2 cups of slow release fertilizer I mix every thing in a 36 gal container, a little at a time. I believe its the best thing since sliced bread. Look up and study Als mix. If your serious about growing maters in containers you should learn about Als mix, it would save you a lot of heart ache, and make you much more successful in growing in containers. Plant em if you got em. Sam
    ...See More
  • star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Silvia! I love the layout! Is that cattle panel for your vines and tomatoes?

• whgille
    14 years ago

Thank you Star, and yes I have a few cattle panels everywhere in the garden.

Here is a closer view

Winter squash

{{gwi:44355}}

Cabbage and other veggies

{{gwi:44357}}

Silvia

• pat_123
    14 years ago

Photos from last weekend. I live in an often foggy, cool, coastal climate. Tomatoes are this year's experiment.

Bush Early Girl Tomato
    {{gwi:44359}}

Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
    {{gwi:44360}}

Sungold Cherry Tomato
    {{gwi:44361}}

Snap peas and snow peas:
    {{gwi:44362}}

{{gwi:44365}}

Square foot garden beds are also an experiment this year.
    {{gwi:44368}}

{{gwi:44371}}

{{gwi:44374}}

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pat, your tomatoes look so deep green and healthy! What are you feeding them?

• pat_123
    14 years ago

Let's see...
    The Sweet 100 is in a mix of two left over bags of potting mix, part Miracle Grow, part Orchard Supply Hardware. The Bush Early Girl is in a locally (California) blended potting mix. The Sunsugar is in Gardner & Bloome potting mix.

I added about 1/4 cup each lime and a 5-10-10 fertilizer when I transplanted the 4" tomatoes.

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

Pat, are those Kiwi Collars making up your sq. ft. raised beds, by chance? They look just like some that I ordered online from a company in New Zealand, and then picked up in South San Francisco. If you're on the coast in some place like Pacifica, I bet those peas will do well, even in the dead of summer. My pea crop has finally petered out, but they were planted late in the fall/early winter and grew throughout the winter. Sugar Daddy snap peas were insanely productive. I wish I'd weighed what my haul was, but I was getting a giant bowl of them every day or every two days when they were in full swing. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures. :(

I'll have to get to my desktop and post some photos of the front yard garden before I yanked everything out this afternoon. My oriental lettuce mix, arugula, and some other random oriental greens that I can't remember all the names of all bolted, so it was time for them to come out. I have a half a bed of favas that are all over the place after the crazy wind and storms we had, but they're all covered in beans - some of which I harvested yesterday and they were delicious!

• pnbrown
    14 years ago

My goodness, ya'll are far ahead of coastal MA. No surprise, but it's shocking to see the difference.

Silvia, nice looking cabbages, better eat those soon before they bolt in the florida heat, yes?

I've got strawberries blooming and growing well:

{{gwi:44377}}

My McIntosh apple in full bloom:
    {{gwi:44381}}

dwarf cascadian, planted around april fools:
    {{gwi:44383}}

Costata Romanesca, growing under glass:
    {{gwi:44384}}

Self-sown giant red mustard, sown radishes and a speckled bibb that I set out yesterday:
    {{gwi:44386}}

• whgille
    14 years ago

Love all the pictures!

Pat you got some beautiful, idyllic place in Ma. Everything looks great!

And yes every day I am picking garbage size full of swiss chard, onions, lettuce, cabbage, kale before the real heat comes. Time for the yard long beans, lima and sweet potatoes.

Silvia

• bomber095
    14 years ago

I take pictures every week. Here's what was done yesterday:

Broccoli
    {{gwi:44387}}

Broccoli in a 4 gallon bucket. This more than likely doesnt have enough soil in it
    {{gwi:44388}}

Romaine lettuce
    {{gwi:44389}}

Cauliflower
    {{gwi:44390}}

Everything
    {{gwi:44391}}

Red onions
    {{gwi:44392}}

Sugar peas
    {{gwi:44393}}

Snow peas
    {{gwi:44394}}

Watermelon and summer squash starts
    {{gwi:44395}}

• sckitchen_gardener_8
    14 years ago

Where I would be right now if it was not raining:
    {{gwi:44396}}

{{gwi:44397}}

• mauirose
    14 years ago

Well Happy Spring everyone, everyone's gardens look terrific!

Starstuff i love the picture of your bunching onions trying to shed their seed shells.

Sylvia what is going on with those tomatoes??? It looks like they are going to be eating you this summer, LOL. Looking good, can't wait to see your harvest.

Love the ladybud sckg ; )

Yukon Golds growing in straw experiment. i peeked yesterday, a few potatoes growing already.

{{gwi:44399}}

Striped Bunch beans getting ready to climb. Looking good.

{{gwi:44401}}

i think we will have some green papaya salad for lunch today.

{{gwi:44402}}

Purple Passion asparagus, so sweet and tender we have been eating it raw.

{{gwi:44403}}

Shallots. If they aren't ready soon on their own i might just pull them. They are taking forever.

{{gwi:44404}}

OK, enough for now, i could get carried away...

• pat_123
    14 years ago

spaghetina,

I had to google "Kiwi Collar". Not that product, but same concept of corner bracket that can stack. I bought mine in sets of 4 from Lee Valley. I can use 1x8 boards, which I can actually work by myself. Other corners that call for 2x8 boards are too heavy for me to work. Built a 3x3 bed and found it so easy, I went back and made a 3x6. We'll see how well they do over time.

I'm north of Pacifica, but yeah, I think I'll have peas going all summer. I pulled the November peas last weekend. Can't wait for the February planting that's just starting to flower. I'm doing all bush peas because I don't have the support for pole peas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Raised Bed Corners

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness, I have been looking for those corners EVERYWHERE! If I'd found those, I never would have used the landscaping timbers I have out in my front yard, lol. Now my mind is dreaming up all sorts of ways to add to my existing beds. I'm forseeing knee-high boxes in my future! I think the preassembled beds I bought ended up being around $40 each, so purchasing the corners and some wood should definitely be cheaper than that. Thanks for the link. :)

• pat_123
    14 years ago

Using the Lee Valley corners and 1"x8"x6' boards, a 3'x3' bed cost approx $25 (+tax) and a 3'x6' bed cost approx $31 (+tax), so yeah, some savings. But you do have to pre-drill holes and screw it together yourself.

• aaaaaaaa
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Where can I buy cattle panel? It looks like it is quite strong to hold the vines.
    Appreciate your response.
    Anna

• nygardener
    14 years ago

Peas getting ready to climb a trellis

{{gwi:44405}}

Baby lettuce

{{gwi:13772}}

Overwintered bunching onions

{{gwi:44406}}

• mlpgarden
    14 years ago

Hey star_stuff, I live right by you in Kernersville! What a beautiful cat you have, especially the two different colored eyes :) I'm so thankful my cat Felix has been good about not doing anything naughty in my garden. This is my first year gardening. I'm messing up left and right but hey, trial and error is usually the best teacher. I got most of my seeds and starters for cheap or free anyways.
    These are the only photos I have as of yet and they don't show everything I have but hey it's a start.
    Yep, that's a fake cobra on the patio LOL. What can I say, ever since I laid it out there the birds quit digging up seeds and yanking up my radishes....

{{gwi:44407}}

{{gwi:44408}}

{{gwi:44409}}

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi - Very nice pictures everybody! the one with the snake was funny.

Anna - You can get cattle panels from Tractor supply. I order mine through my local feed store.

Silvia

• scarletdaisies
    14 years ago

nygardener,

Are you interplanting daffodils with your lettuce for natural bug repellent reasons? They look nice!

• nightnurse21
    14 years ago

Ok let me have a try at this bear in mind that I am in the caribbean and we can grow almost anything here.....

This is my PASSION FRUIT vine growing through my still bearing lime tree

{{gwi:44410}}

This is my PAPAYA did not realise that the slugs were at it
    {{gwi:44411}}

SQUASH (ACCIDENTALLY DROPPED SEED) FEILD PEAS

{{gwi:44412}}

BROADLEAF THYME
    {{gwi:44413}}

SPINACH
    {{gwi:44414}}

SPINACH(from cutting)
    {{gwi:44415}}

CUCUMBER
    {{gwi:44416}}

SWEET BASIL
    {{gwi:44417}}

CHIVES
    {{gwi:44418}}

WETERMELON
    {{gwi:44419}}

PUMPKIN(winter squash)
    {{gwi:44420}}

...... MORE TO COME......

• nygardener
    14 years ago

scarletdaisies, thanks! I just did it for color.

• mlpgarden
    14 years ago

Everyone's gardens look so beautiful and well organized!

hehe the snake actually scared my father. He came running into my room and woke me up saying there's a weird looking snake on the patio. I'm like "Yeah dad.. a cobra in North Carolina...." lol

• ezzirah011
    14 years ago

Beautiful gardens everyone! As soon as we get some sun I will get out there and take some pictures.

Every one has such a jump start on me, no doubt considering where you are located, but one can dream, right?

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pnbrown, your house and garden are beautiful!

SCkitchen, I love the picture of the ladybug on the pea tendril!

Hi neighbor, Mlpgarden! That snake sounds like a great deterrent!

Here is a quick pic of some radishes:

{{gwi:44421}}

• navyavi469
    13 years ago

My Green Cabbage at DAY 45
    {{gwi:44422}}

Silver Queen Corn DAY 45
    {{gwi:44423}}

3' Better Boy Tomatoes (near), 4' Early Girls (far) DAY 45
    {{gwi:44424}}

Red Potatos (near), Yellow Onions (middle), Leeks (far) DAY 45
    {{gwi:44425}}

• lnewport
    13 years ago

Wow navyavi469, so if this is day 45 did you plant them around March?

• navyavi469
    13 years ago

Yes, I planted between March 15th and 17th, the pictures were taken the 2nd of May. But I've had nothing but problems with a lot of my stuff. The squash/zucchini had nothing but brown curling leaves. The cucumbers have a horrible case of downy mildew but so far they are recovering ok. The tomatoes I burnt with Miracle grow and are awaiting a hopeful recovery. The corn is showing signs of rust on the very bottom leaves/suckers. The potatoes have a horrible case of early blight. The cabbage has been attacked by loopers and so-far I can't get the heads to grow bigger than baseballs. The red cabbage looks like its been shot with a shotgun due to the same loopers although I have since treated with Bt. My green beans (bush variety) have come up with brown spots on the initial spade-shaped leaves, and although I've been treating regularly with fungicide, I'm not sure they'll do well. The good part about living on the coast of florida is that the temperatures are great for growing year-round; the bad part is that the bugs/diseases are rampant due to the climate and humidity.

• navyavi469
    13 years ago

Just pulled these early spring veggies (early new potatoes and baby cabbage) out of the garden and going to cook them up tonight with some goold 'ole southern fried chicken. MMMMM mmmm!!! I do delcare you scalawags up north aint be eatin this good tonight. :D

{{gwi:44426}}

• whgille
    13 years ago

Beautiful radishes Star!

Navyavi - Good harvest! Sorry to hear about the bugs eating your crops.

Here is my garden and how it looks today

{{gwi:44427}}

My potatoes

{{gwi:44428}}

Silvia

• rjinga
    13 years ago

naviavi LOL, now play nice, no need to rub that yummy platter of goodies in the Northerners noses...lol...that is sure a good looking bunch of veggies!!! but potatoes already? where are you????

My garden is getting off to a late start because I've been spending all my time on a new venture (selling at a local antique mall) but I do have some things going and they are doing well...

I have cukes coming up
    {{gwi:44429}}
    and green beans
    {{gwi:44430}}
    and lots and lots of strawberries

and a few yellow squash
    {{gwi:44431}}

and my garlic is doing well (I think)
    Potatoes also looking good.
    {{gwi:44432}}
    {{gwi:44433}}

Notice ALL my volunteer peanuts....I obviously missed a LOT of them, they are all over the garden, but I dont mind that at all.

{{gwi:44434}}
    I bought my peppers and tomatoes this year :( but that's ok, they will be just as good as if I'd planted them...right?

just planted okra, just the basics this year, should be easier to keep up. And after looking at these pics up close, reminds me that I need to get out there and pull some weeds. Happy Gardening!

• mauirose
    13 years ago

rjinga, tell me more about your peanuts!

What kind did you plant? Last year? How was the harvest? I'm very curious but nervous about growing them in my heavy clay. Can they be grown in straw like potatoes?

• pnbrown
    13 years ago

Everybody looks good.

Boy I do wish I had some new potatoes - still a good month to go. Navy those look like red norland. I thought I had lost my reds this year, but recently found some that got left in the ground: rose gold and caribe. Rose Gold (rosy skin and yellow flesh) as well as being gorgeous is about the best tasting I have had. Silvia has German Butterball which I also grow, also very tasty. Down deep south where potatoes are only for new, it doesn't signify, but GB has a problem with brown spots inside when mature. Yukon Gold is much better for storage.

I got some heirloom sweet potato tubers in the ground yesterday for sprouting (thanks, George). The costata romanesca plants that I posted earlier are flowering. I won't add any more photos to this thread as it is taking too long to load up as is.

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a few recent pics. I hope everyone is doing well. :-)

First tomatoes! (Husky Red)
    {{gwi:44435}}

Cayenne peppers...I think. (They were mismarked as jalapenos, LOL)
    {{gwi:44436}}

Tumbling Tom tomatoes
    {{gwi:44437}}

Lady bug on California Wonder peppers, which are now blooming.
    {{gwi:44438}}

More pics to come!

• erin_nc
    13 years ago

Star_stuff,

Absolutely gorgeous photography!!

I'm so jealous, you already have toms!! I thought I was doing well with our first zucchini May 26th. :)

You're about an hour away from me yet I won't have tomatoes for several weeks.

Way to go!

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Erin, NC gardening neighbor! :-) They are just wee little Husky's, but I'll take them, lol! My other tomato varieties will be a while... I can't stand the wait!

Congrats on your Zucchini in May! I have terrible luck with zucchini. When did you start yours?

Caroline

• whgille
    13 years ago

Congratulations Caroline, beautiful tomatoes!

Here is my summer squash harvest

{{gwi:44439}}

Winter squash

{{gwi:44440}}

White watermelon and Galia melon

{{gwi:44441}}

Silvia

• xxx1angel3xxx
    13 years ago

Here are some pix of my garden this year. It's a tribute to all of you here that have been so helpful.

{{gwi:44442}}

from front to back, Sweet banana, cali wonder, and one just called red chilli.

{{gwi:44443}}

one huge ichiban eggplant.

{{gwi:44444}}

one of it's ummm.... eggs?

{{gwi:44445}}

A pepper jungle with jalis, hot bananas, and cayenne.

{{gwi:44446}}

cantolope is that spelled right.

{{gwi:44447}}

A moon and stars from seed saved from last year.

{{gwi:44448}}

onions.

{{gwi:44449}}

Sweet corn.

{{gwi:44451}}

herbs.

{{gwi:44452}}

From left to right, peppers I started from seed, squash, cucumbers.

{{gwi:44454}}

okra.

{{gwi:44456}}

From Front to back, left to right, Jet Star, Sweet 100, Tiny Tim (in the tiny tan pot), and the legendary Brandywine.

{{gwi:44458}}

and my early girl.

{{gwi:44460}}

and a early fruit.

Hope you enjoy,
    Angel.

• austin95
    13 years ago

No pics just yet because the garden hasnt been very good to me lately. I love all of your pics tho! Hopefully my garden starts to pop up soon. we just started getting that night 50s and day 80s weather the past week so stuff should start popping up. And Angel, for educational purposes, i do believe it is "cantaloupe" (correct me if im wrong, not completely sure myself lol)

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Silvia! Your squash and melons are beautiful! Do you plant a second round of those, like your tomatoes, because they shut down in the heat?

HereÂs a bunch of new pictures...come take a quick tour! ;-)

A big group of my veggie containers. The German Black heirloom (front) goes into a larger square pot soon, and tomato cages go up. A couple of containers will probably move to other spots...if I can find any room, lol.

{{gwi:44462}}

Spacemaster Cucumbers, you can still see the hail damage...peppers & toms have torn leaves as well. :-( One cuc never came up, so I may drop another seed in the back, or just leave it. They will get an inverted tomato cage soon.

{{gwi:44464}}

My cucumber watchdog, lol. I also have a pepper watchdog, a tomato one... theyÂre babies and theyÂre everywhere! How lucky, eh? There must have been a mantis nest in one of the bushes against the building. Beware, you nasty mealy bugs and white flies!

{{gwi:44465}}

California Wonder Peppers:

{{gwi:44466}}

A California Wonder baby:

{{gwi:44467}}

Huge Sungold truss:

{{gwi:44469}}

Big Beef ...hopefully soon to break in color:

{{gwi:44471}}

Black Krim heirloom:

{{gwi:44473}}

Nasturtium ~ only one of 40 seeds germinated. Grrrr! From 2 different packs of brand new seeds, and I tried everything...indoors, outside...no luck. WhatÂs the secret?

{{gwi:44475}}

~Caroline

• earthworm73
    13 years ago

Its nice to see everyones gardens are flourishing however it is depressing at the same time. Its wierd not seeing even an inch of growth in 2 weeks because Mother Nature has decided to revert back to March and stay there. So despite all this keep those pics coming so I can be reminded what a growing garden looks like. Just keep those of us in the PNW still stuck in March weather in your thoughts.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Caroline,

Beautiful and well tended garden! About your question with the squash I do succession planting but when the heat comes they will be pull out. They are still going strong.

The nasturtiums seeds have to be scratched with a nail file, they will even grow in poor soil, prefer a little shade when is hot.

{{gwi:44477}}

Cucumber pictures

{{gwi:44479}}

{{gwi:44481}}

{{gwi:44483}}

Silvia