SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptwonline

Need help with my front landscaping

ptwonline
10 years ago

So for years we've had a very plain lawn and an always overgrown garden area. When the one person with even a semi-interest in gardening moved out, I decided to take it up. To my great surprise, I love gardening!

Alas, I know very little about it. I cleaned up the area and started replacing grass (which I hate) with planting beds. Knowing nothing about plants I decided to simply throw some shrubs and flowers in to figure out what i liked, and how things worked. The result is a hodge-podge, but I am learning!

The main problem is that we have a narrow frontal space for our house because of the garage, and so I am very confused about how to place the plants. Specifically, I can't figure out where the front and where the back of the garden should be! Should it face my walkway, or should it face the street? I thought if it faced the walkway, then the tall plants would be by my neighbour's house and it would look like HIS garden!

Sun/shade is also a problem in areas.

Pics of my property: this was taken early evening. The property faces East, so the left side of the photos is south. The bottom half of my lawn is usually in shade almost the entire day. The grassy strip beside my neighbour's house for about 2-3 feet is mostly in shade in spring and later in the summer and into the fall. It's hard to see but there is a 2x6 strip of garden beside the front door and under the window.

From across the street. You can see a black locust and a birch tree that put half my lawn in so much shade.
{{gwi:37024}}

From the sidewalk. I don't know what that evergreen shrub is, but my sis-in-law cut out the bottom and it looks...funny. I recently planted those two hydrangeas to sort of frame the walkway, plus I like hydrangeas and needed a place for them! Beside the garage are two clematis on crooked trellises, a young Rose of Sharon probably planted too close, and a few carpet roses and annual geraniums.
{{gwi:37025}}

From the driveway. Excuse the mess! Sadly, the blocks need leveling too. On the left side the garden bed cuts away at a 45 degree angle that is not visible in the photo. That was done because the space at the door was too crowded.
{{gwi:37027}}

From the lawn. Here you can see the shrub border a bit better, plus the flower bed I put in front. That's a young Summer Snowflake Viburnum in the middle that I have no idea how big it will grow, so I just stuck some Wave Petunias around it to fill it in. The various shrubs I tried to get different seasonal flowering (PJM Rhodie, Bloomerang, French Lace Weigela, Sunny Knockout), and so I thought the Summer Snowflake in the middle with longer blooms would be nice. But now I am not so sure. The rocks by the garage are landscaping boulders dug out once upon a time and either need to be put back in somewhere or disposed of.
{{gwi:37028}}

Finally a view from the doorstep. You can see some straggly Geraniums filling in places between shrubs. Look awful, smell great.
{{gwi:37029}}

So tell me...is it a disaster? Are the shrubs on the wrong side? Any simply changes I can make for decent improvement? I really kind of like having the shrubs by the walkway as a sort of flowering hedge, but I'm not sure if I'm making some kind of bad mistake by doing so. I also prefer shrubs over perennials because it seems like less work, so my bias will tend to be to go with more shrubs.

I bow to your knowledge!

Comments (5)