SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dkg362_gw

Design shape/form/flow and changing from symmetrical to informal

17 years ago

Hi everyone!

I am mostly a lurker here and have learned so much from these various GW forums. I grew up in a gardening family and am also a master gardener - but while I may know my plants, my design skills are definitely lacking! I see so many gardens and landscapes that I really like, but I can't seem to identify exactly what makes a landscape design stunning vs. one that just doesn't feel right. How do you determine shapes of beds and flow to get that wonderful feel? I realize that this is a somewhat theoretical and subjective question, but I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Also, are there any books out there that you would recommend that are great for learning about this? I go through my fair share of gardening magazines and books, but I rarely run across something that deals with this subject.

To address the second part of my subject line :-)... I have moved into a house where the landscaping is pretty mature and was put in by professional landscapers. While it is pleasant to look at, they made so many decisions I wouldn't have made (trees and shrubs too close to house and too close together, symmetrical layout, wrong plants in the wrong place, etc). I'm trying to gradually make changes to these things, but what I struggle with the most is how to transform the layout from symmetrical to informal without it looking awkward. Have any of you done something like this before?

Dawn

Comments (4)