SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lathyrus_odoratus

Trying to understand what influences leaf thickness

13 years ago

After a year of growing African Violets almost to the exclusion of other plants (except my outdoor containers), I have noticed some significant differences in plant characteristics from grower to grower.

One of the most important differences, because it helps or hinders propagation, is the density/thickness of the leaf.

Some grower's leaves are thin, fragile, seem to have little density to them. They bend easily and are almost a bit floppy. Others, however, have plants the produce leaves that are thick, hearty, and appear to be very dense. These leaves would break before they would bend. It's like the difference between a summer weight blanket and a winter weight one.

During propagation, the latter leaves almost always survive and produce offspring. The former, however, are not so lucky. They do not seem to have enough ooomph to keep themselves alive until they can root and uptake water and nutrients.

So, I started wondering - why? What makes this difference? Is it light spectrum related - maybe they get more red and less blue so are more spindly? Or is it nutrient related? Or something else?

Some of it is genetic. There are some varieties that have more fragile leaves. But, it's only a small part of it as I've seen the same variety plant grown by two different growers look very different.

If anyone has any information, I'd be grateful. I tried doing some searches, but had a hard time putting together search terms to elicit what I was looking for.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz