SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyfig

Understanding Soapstone. Part one. A 1st try :)

rubyfig
14 years ago

First, a disclaimer. I am neither a chemist or a geologist (just a research geek), so if I am not 100% correct on some of these point and you know, PLEASE point it out. I have tried my best to get it right. It is late and I am on my way out, so, here goesÂ

From research, this is what I have found:

There are four main "types" of talc deposits, one of which is soapstone. These are Serpentine derivative ore bodies. Pure talc, as you probably know, is very soft and you could not (nor would you want to) use it as a countertop as it would fall apart as you touched it. But, it has many other valuable traits and it is the main "ingredient" (if you will) of Soapstone countertops, so understanding it and how it reacts with other minerals, etc. is one of the keys to understanding how countertop Soapstone will react and why.

Soapstone in this (the countertop kind) format is a mix of talc and reactional magnesium carbonates. This is interesting. Magnesium retains water so therein might be a reason we see water spots on some stones, and not others.

Soapstone is composed of the mineral talc [Mg3Si4O10(OH)2] together with some chlorite [(Fe, Mg, Al)6(Si, Al)4O10(OH)8], and often some magnetite (Fe3O4).

Soapstone that is most often used for countertops is also called Steatite. The chemical makeup of Steatite is 3MgO*4SiO2*4H20. I have found conflicting reports on how much Talc is within the makeup of Soapstone. Somewhere between 30% (some reports say more like 50%) and 80% talc.

Soapstone in this format can also contain serpentine, chlorite, tremolite, quartz, muscovite, magnetite, dolomite, and/or calcite in itÂs makeup.

Soapstone is part of non-foliated (or weakly foliated) metamorphic rock group. It is dense (weighing 22 lbs for a square foot of 3cm thick material. To compare, a square foot of 3cm granite weighs 16 lbs).

LetÂs take a closer look at Talc.

All Talcs exhibit, to a lesser or greater extent, the following unique features:

1) Softness. The more talc there is in your soapstone countertop, the softer it is.

2) Hydrophobicity (isnÂt this a great word?). Basically, water repellent.

3) Platyness (weÂll get to this in a minute, and is tied into #4)

4) Organophillicity.

Oil does not "sit" on top of your countertop. Here is why:

Talc is water repellent, inert, platy, and the softest mineral on earth. Within the structure of talc, the "crystal morphology", the size of an individual talc platelet can vary from about 1 micron to over 100 microns depending on the deposit. It is the individual platelet size that determines a talcÂs lamellarity. A highly lamellar talc has large individual platelets whereas a compact (known as microcrystalline) talcÂs platelets are much smaller. Think of this structure as layers of flaky pastry, the more layers, the more oil it can "hold" longer. Talc does have a marked affinity for certain (ie oily) organic chemicals (this makes it organophilic).

Comments (36)