SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cckrobinson_gw

Help with a mixed hedge above a retaining wall

cckrobinson
17 years ago

As you can see from the pictures, we have a 5Â high retaining wall running along the front side of the house. We would like to plant a mixed scrub hedge to act as a fence to prevent small children from falling off of the wall. We are redoing the back yard this yard so the front is on a budget. All that we plan to do for the time being is to plant the hedge.

My wife went to the local nursery and came home with a variety of plants: 2 ivory halo dogwood, 2 wilton blue rug juniper, 4 rose glow barberry, and 1 magic carpet spirea. The nursery recommended the plants, but they didnÂt really tell us how they should be mixed together. The wall is ~30Â long, so my plan was to space the dogwood, barberry and spirea evenly as seen in the pictures. I would then "somehow" mix in the juniper so that they spread out and grow over the wall.

In what order would you guys place the plants and how would you space them? I believe the barberryÂs should be 2 ½ - 3 apart which will eventually form a tight hedge. Should the junipers be planted between the barberry and the wall or spaced between each barberry?

All opinions are welcome. I need to plant these things by tomorrow (Sunday).

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Yard

Comments (2)