SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpwellma

Height of soil above retaining/garden rock wall

7 years ago

Greetings folks!

Question: We've built a two-tier (terraced) rock wall in our front yard and are now in the process figuring out soil amendments, planting/sod and such. A "gotcha" for us is our clay soil - it's bad in spots - to the point where we could probably form it into a bowl and fire it in a kiln. Anyway, we are planning on mixing in some compost and then depending on the location putting down either sod or mulch for plants/shrubs. The current height of the soil is only about an inch or so below the top of the rock walls. If we add say 3 inches of compost, mix it in, and then add say 3 inches of mulch or sod, I'd guess we'd probably be about 6 inches above the wall considering expansion from the tilling process. We could taper in that difference toward the wall to be less noticeable near the wall if needed.

Bottomline - Are there are major issues with having the beds/sod 6" above the wall in spots? I am asking because it's a major pain to manually scrape off the good topsoil (5"), push the topsoil back, and then till down to the heavy clay areas and remove sections of clay soil by hand down in some cases across two tiers of rock walls to the street for disposal. And our front yard is probably 75ft x 100ft, so the workload needs to scale to something we could accomplish in a reasonable period of time.

All comments welcome and appreciated. What would you do?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz