SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waneright

Saving my garden while a retaining wall is repaired.

Jim Waneright
5 years ago

This may not be so much as knowing how to move and reinstall plants and bulbs rather it is finding, and paying, someone to over see the operation. I am just a bit too old to do it myself.

The retaining stone/concrete wall is about 2' feet high, 2' deep and runs about 75' along the side of the yard. The strip of garden above the wall is about 12" deep and the strip along the bottom of the wall is about 2" deep.

I have 100 miniature daffodils, 5 lavender Phlox, Blue and white Spanish bells, crocuses, a pink and a yellow forsythia, a cascading rose, three Yucca plants, a variegated forsythia, a miniature Spiria, above the wall with pink and red Sedum, white and blue Spanish bells, crocuses, White and blue Siberian Iris, Mums, Bee Balm, and Pink Heather, and 200 King Edward Daffodils, along the base of the wall. I am sure that there are others in there but I forget.

Imagine digging all of these up, keeping track of their names, and storing them a week or two until they can be returned to the gardens. In this scenario I can regenerate the soil easily before reinstalling the plants.

OTOH, I can wait until November when the majority has died back or going into dormancy. Maybe most of them can stay in place and I can hope for the best.

I am ready to hire someone to handle the horticulture side of this while the crew rebuilds the wall.

Anyone experienced in this?
Any suggestions on what to know before I start?

Any thoughts at all......?

Comments (5)