SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phorty_gw

help me put some wow in the garden bed! (pics)

phorty
14 years ago

Hey guys and gals. We moved in our first house just a bit west of Chicago last summer. Most free time last summer went into getting the yard in shape and planting a few trees and shrubs in other areas of the yard. So I want to put a little POP in a garden bed that is right in front of the deck in my back yard. It is 4 feet deep and about 19 feet wide. The back of the house faces north so the part of the bed closest to the deck is probably part sun because it gets shade from the deck while the part bordering the yard is full sun.

Right now it consists of a few shrubs and perennials from the previous owner. Starting on the far left, a chive plant, next to that an unidentified vertical growing shrub that was much larger when we moved in and my wife hacked it down (without my approval), next to that are two azaleas, one of which is doing great, the other not so great so I'll probably move it, then there are two small rose bushes in between that can't be seen in the photo- one is a knockout and the other looks similar but has green foliage and yellow flowers. On the far right is a sandcherry which has the red leaves. There are a few perennials mixed in here and there.

I'd like to infuse some color and excitement into the middle section. I want to leave the two large schrubs on the ends, the one on the left and the sandcherry on the right and redo everything in between. Can you all recommend some plants for me? A combination of hardy flowering shrubs and perennials and I'll fill in the spaces with annuals if need be. If possible, I'd like to have taller plants in the back to block as much view of the deck structure but I know my selection is limited since there is only 4 feet of depth in the bed. I was thinking possibly a hydrangea of some sort in the middle. I love to find one that will be tall but not too wide that it would prevent me from fitting in others things next to it. Then I could leave the azalea on the left of it and the two roses bushes on the right. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

{{gwi:30669}}

{{gwi:30672}}

{{gwi:30675}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus