SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silverwind_gw

Please help my mother and I?

silverwind
16 years ago

I'm attaching a link to my photobucket account, I have pictures there of the current state of things. :/

We're all in zone 5. Her house faces North, and her entryway is in shade. The roof overhangs the porch, but not much else - the portion of ground just at the railing gets no overhead sun, nor rain, but all else there is in the weather, and closer to midday sun.

The back corner is the Southeast corner. While the sculpted bushes can probably stay, those tall beasts have to go - every winter they die back a little more, and they were planted far too closely to begin with. It's not healthy, and I think they're mutating. :) The rock, as well, is stuck there.

*sigh*

Enough with the basic info - Please, can anyone help jog some creativity into this disaster? Or at least help convince her that I'm not entirely wrong on some choices? ;D

She has: plant stands that are likely going to go in front of the railing on the porch. She likes her impatiens, they do well there, and she can water that easily without relying on rainfall for the annuals.

A couple of Heucheras she'd liked, and can go in once she decides on a spot. We've had them a year now, I kept them in my nursery bed, but I'll either have to plant them or re-pot this year. I'd prefer to plant.

She's considered: Some sort of flowering tree in the back, or, at least something with color. Perhaps one of the 'smaller' japanese maples. Even considered a japanese-styled garden, but she's no idea where to start on that one.

Everything we've covered for the front, so far, either "Isn't Quite" what she'd like, or she likes things that need part to full sun.

All of you are so very helpful, and I've always seen excellent suggestions here, but where I'm really failing is in showing her things. Pictures of finished projects might even be ideal, and we could tweak things from there. But my ideas are running thin with her - our styles just don't mesh.

Any takers? o_0;

Thank you in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture Folder!

Comments (7)