SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
containergirl

Tell me my twiggy Miracle Grow is OK...

16 years ago

I've been planting my veggies and annuals up this year with Miracle Grow potting mix. At first I thought it was fine, but after sitting in the pots for a while all the bark/twigs/sticks rise to the top (maybe?) such that it almost looks like I mulched the containers with it. There is also the occasional stone in it. Last year I used a mix from Gardeners Supply that I much preferred and it didn't have any twigs or rocks in it, just fluffy goodness. But it is MUCH more pricey than the MG.

Did I get bad bags of Miracle Grow, or is the stuff I mentioned just fine?

I bought some Baccto Lite mix as well, and it had even more sticks in it. I used one bag and returned the rest, to get the MG. The Baccto Pro I used was ok, and I may go back to that next year.

How much should I let the twigs bother me? Was I spoiled last year with the good stuff?

I should add that ideally I would like to make my own mix, but I just don't have the space to store components or even to make a mess. I cringe for my poor neighbor below every time I spill soil/water while planting as it is. So a mix it is for me, as I see it.

Comments (6)