SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avajay_gw

Help with wicks for watering and draining

avajay
14 years ago

Guten tag,

I've checked many past posts on wicking for watering and draining purposes,but I can't find any clear-cut instructions anywhere, even google. Many contradictory "musts" have sprouted up as well. Water source must be below pot. Water source should be above pot. Wicks need to be an absorbent material. Nylon is a good choice (since when is nylon absorbent??). One hole. Two. Gravity. Bottom. Side.

I guess I need some basics of how water moves through a wick COUPLED WITH real world suggestions. I've seen several of Al's articles as well as his replies to my requests for help, and they've been very useful. For tomatoes in 5-gallon buckets as well as 18-gallon totes, I need to know wick sizes and materials. Many have said that nylon clothesline works. Or is this only for drainage when gravity is the helper? Can a wick drain UPWARD (for plants placed in-ground in clay soil, would an absorbent wick with one end placed in planting hole help remove excess water upward to evaporate after a rain?)? If I get one size wick for watering for the 5-gal bucket, how many of the same size would I need for the 18-gal tote? Do they really need to encircle the soil at the halfway mark, or will pushing them down a few inches from the top of the soil line be sufficient? Also, for some tomatoes in containers that have been there and growing (slowly) for weeks now, would it behoove me to thread a wick into one of the drainage holes (they're not very big, my largest drill bit is about 1/4 inch)? Will pushing some topsoil up to the holes have the same effect as allowing the container set on soil to allow the soil to act as a wick in bringing down the perched water table (my drain holes are on sides about 1/2" from bottom, not on the bottom itself)?

A lotta questions, I know, sorry. I really need to get these seedlings in and I'm afraid I'll find out after the fact that I shoulda done this first, or done that last, or, or, or.....

I think Lowe's sells cord by the foot, not sure how diverse the materials are. Should I buy a few yards of something they have, or is clothesline the way to go?

Thanks to all,

Joyce

Comments (18)